Author Topic: I almost pulled the trigger..  (Read 1379 times)

eb2

• View Profile
I almost pulled the trigger..
« on: November 16, 2008, 07:10:43 PM »
..but I didn't.  I am very curious, but it would be just throwing $50 that I could throw elsewhere.  Anyone curious?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-80s-Ibanez-Gibson-style-Bass-Pickup_W0QQitemZ330287192589QQihZ014QQcategoryZ22670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: I almost pulled the trigger..
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 07:31:28 PM »
I don't know. Some of the Japanese EB-style pickups aren't exactly the same size as a Gibson. And you don't know if it's a sidewinder (if you even care).

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 08:52:17 AM »
I didn't care.  I couldn't help myself.  I suppose selling a 460 should make up for it.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 01:21:56 PM »
ok now.in the 70s i had an ibanez eb2d copy(long gone) with what i assume was one of those pickups in the front position.it was not a side winder.in fact i dont think it was a humbucker either.
Louder bass!.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 01:54:54 PM »
I suspect it is some honkin single coil underneath.  More than likely made by Maxom, like a lot of the pups in Ibanez and Aria stuff from around then.  I actually like their pups, along with their pedals.  I am guessing Ford or early Carter administration.   I look forward to reporting on it when it gets here.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 02:50:14 PM »
I remember a Swedish owner of a 70's Ibanez EB-3 copy said they are indeed single coil pickups.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 07:40:16 PM »
 That is a great deal still in the original box ! not exactly like a mudbucker but a good sounding pup none the less! not from the 80's  though, more like '75-'78
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:49:18 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 03:56:40 AM »
This looks just like the one I have on my mid-seventies Rocket Roll Flying V. A lot tamer/clearer than a mudbucker, a bit like the EB-4L pup in fact.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 03:26:42 PM »
I got it today.  Very fun.  Size wise, it is pretty much the same as any mudbucker pup.  The poles line up exactly with a Gibson.  The mounting holes are the same as the EB4 pup I have, and the tin lid has the same dimensions and side height as the EB4, presumedly the same as a later mudbucker.  It is indeed a big single coil in there, with a chunky metal base holding it.  It has two bar magnets north and south of the poles under the coil, with what appears to be wood spacers.  Using leftover pieces of wood is quite the nod to Gibson.  Build wise it is very solid, and was never used.  Original Jimmy Carter era pricing was $64.  I haven't put it in anything, or hooked it up to a multi meter yet.  More on that later.