Author Topic: Ever writen a song that makes you "WHAT WAS I THINKING?" when looking back?  (Read 1039 times)

Blazer

It's a given thing that when you hit a niche and something gets attached to your name, you're forever gonna be the guy that's known for that one niche.

Wether that niche being able to hum the national anthem with your left nostrill and roll out the flag with your right nostril, or some stupid song that you came up with while pulling an all nighter, people want to see you perform it and come back to you requesting you do it over and over.

Until you're in the position that Jani Lane is in...

So have you been in the same position?

In my own case, yes, I have been in that same position. When I was a teenager learning how to play guitar I figured out that the chord sequence of C#m - Bm - A  sounds really cool and haunting, so after playing that sequence for a while I decided to make a song from it. Because the movie "Flatliners" was a big hit in those days I came up with the title "Flatliners blues" and wrote some really juvenile lyrics about suicide. Surprisingly, it caught on really well, the band I was in at the time played it a lot of times live and people really liked it but mostly because of the chord sequence making the song sound so menancholic, I doubt that any of them even paid attention to what the lyrics were saying.

And after two or three years I had enough of that song, I had since joined other bands and still people came up requesting that song because of me being there. Now we're 15 years later and people seemed to forgot about "Flatliners blues" and I'm greatful for that.

I still know the lyrics by heart but as long as I live I will NEVER sing them again.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
I only write classics and hits!

;)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Jani looks like he's been in too many cherry pie eating contests, that's for sure.
He's gone nuts! He used to be my bud. I'd often cross paths with him in & around L.A.
He even introduced me to Bobbi Brown--the hottie blond in that fokkin' Red Hot video!
That is a great song, great vid, & the end of an era.
It's painful to see him lookin' so bad & regretting doing the best thing he's ever done.
...& that's gotta be the hottest chick he's ever done too!! heh
Quit whinin' JL & sing the song! hahaa Milk her for all she's worth!!!!!

luve2fli

• View Profile
Got to agree with you Terr, that's some asinine commentary there. Hey, I figure we're all entitled to our 15 minutes - don't be squawking about how you got there, just be happy you made it!

"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

JZumbro

• View Profile
I pretty much hate every song I've ever written. Other people like some of them, though.