Author Topic: Carvin LB20  (Read 375 times)

Ken

• View Profile
Carvin LB20
« on: May 25, 2024, 06:02:51 PM »
Got this back from my friend's place to possibly put back into rotation.  My old Carvin LB20.  I bought it over 20 years ago from my friend Greta Brinkman, who used it on tour with Moby.  She never loved it, so she lent it to me and I really bonded with it, so I bought it from her.  It was my #1 until Gibson released the first left-handed Thunderbird in 2013.  It still has my favorite neck.  Not sure I'd opened the control cavity before, but very nicely shielded.  Not sure if that was special for Greta or they all came like this.  Very quiet for single coils.  I've been thinking of swapping out the stock J99 pickups for something beefier, but these do sound pretty good, and I got an interesting tone from them by scooping the mids, which I hate with the Thunderbird's humbuckers.  Maybe I'll keep it as-is.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Carvin LB20
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2024, 07:46:10 AM »
Carvin seems to have made a lot of quality stuff. I've never owned one, but I've played a couple. I remember Greta from a magazine ad. Maybe for GHS strings(?), and I think she was shown with a green Carvin.

Ken

• View Profile
Re: Carvin LB20
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2024, 08:17:02 AM »
Yes, she loves that green one.  You remember correctly; it was a GHS ad.  She always seemed to use Boomers.

I found this cool video of her playing the black one with Moby.  Seems she was on tour with Moby in 1999 and Carvin gave her the black one.  She then had the green one made.