Author Topic: Burton Cummings makes a stunning move  (Read 200 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Burton Cummings makes a stunning move
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 05:46:53 AM »
Wow, he really knows how to play hardball. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 06:16:56 AM »
OMG, how petty, Burton and Randy should found a supergroup with John Fogerty and call themselves Nasty Old Men.

Rudy Sarzo played with that current incarnation for a while:

https://bravewords.com/news/bassist-rudy-sarzo-reveals-how-he-ended-up-joining-the-guess-who-very-simple-sass-jordan

What kind of grudge must you hold to devote your life to stopping these guys from making a living?

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 09:05:45 AM »
OMG, how petty, Burton and Randy should found a supergroup with John Fogerty and call themselves Nasty Old Men.

Seriously. It's sad and funny at the same time seeing all these old classic rock guys turn into bickering old hens.

A couple of years ago, my band Nomadic Horizon had a nasty falling out with our guitarist, who wrote about half the music. I got more than one unhinged email stating that we are forbidden to perform or rehearse anything he had a hand in writing. What a joke! I did honor his request for the most part, but there are two songs that I wasn't willing to throw away.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 09:48:18 AM »

Rudy Sarzo played with that current incarnation for a while:

https://bravewords.com/news/bassist-rudy-sarzo-reveals-how-he-ended-up-joining-the-guess-who-very-simple-sass-jordan

What kind of grudge must you hold to devote your life to stopping these guys from making a living?

What kind of grudge?  A big one!!
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 12:44:50 PM »
For what? Half the people in the audience know that they are not seeing Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman, but a line-up several generations removed (you tell me as a Deep revolving door Purple fan!), the other half doesn't care because they don't even know who they are.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 01:13:33 PM »
For what? Half the people in the audience know that they are not seeing Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman, but a line-up several generations removed (you tell me as a Deep revolving door Purple fan!), the other half doesn't care because they don't even know who they are.

Probably even more than half don't know who they are. 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2024, 07:48:52 PM »
I don't know about that. Burton Cummings' voice is so distinctive. The vocalist in the video doesn't come close.

But it's a petty move and probably will not help Cummings' and Bachman's reputation.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2024, 09:34:33 AM »
The Battle Over Classic Rock Band the Guess Who Just Went Nuclear

Very interesting - we just got tickets to a concert series in Fort Collins this summer, and the band Guess Who is one of the concerts.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2024, 02:30:37 PM »
Cummings did an interview with Bob Lefsetz a while back that started with about 30 minutes of Mike Lindell-esque diatribes against the current band.  Bob would steer the conversation away and Cummings would go right back.  I don't think that Burton has anything else in his life but these memories.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2024, 03:02:06 PM »
It's a cheap shot and I'm glad that nothing of the sort ever happened in the Purple camp with its convoluted family tree. Whether in 1975 or in 1993, Blackmore neither in public nor in court ever questioned the legitimacy of the other guys continuing (though he is rumored to have lawyers take a look at it!). DP today features one solitary original member - the drummer, i.e. Ian Paice. Gillan and Glover are from a second line-up (which albeit eclipsed the first one in popularity).

I stand by what I said: Real fans know whether a line-up is legitimate or not, the rest of the audience doesn't give a damn as long as the music is decently presented and they recognize the old hits.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 03:27:40 PM by uwe »

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2024, 02:38:59 PM »
The Guess Who was my first concert. I was in the 5th grade. The line up was The Guess Who, Jose Feliciano and Fanny.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2024, 02:57:06 PM »
I think Burton Cummings has one of the more distinctive voices in music.  As it happens, I once worked at a radio station in Idaho where his cousin Gary was the program director.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2024, 10:11:36 AM »
I once worked with a guy named Rich Cummings.  No one liked him, so we called him Dick.