Author Topic: The Rickie Hinrichsen Collection from Gibson  (Read 630 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
The Rickie Hinrichsen Collection from Gibson
« on: March 21, 2024, 08:19:29 PM »
The latest from Gibson's Master Artisan Collection.

Be sure to have a barf bag handy.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: The Rickie Hinrichsen Collection from Gibson
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 11:15:15 PM »
I kinda like all of those - hey, they’re refreshingly different! Would look good in some desert stoner rock band.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 12:17:20 AM »
I like the mosaic patterns, especially on the Explorer, though I think it'd be better with covered humbuckers, or at least not with the pattern on the 'buckers. The "psychedelic" LP though...that's just a bit too much, it needs to be broken up with normal, non-patterned appointments, fretboard, and headstock...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 08:08:54 AM »
Noice. I like most of them.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 03:26:36 PM »
The Mediterranean Mosaic guitar gives Greek Restaurant Bathroom vibes. Gone a bit heavy on the dolmades and Mythos.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 04:41:56 PM »
Alan was paid by Dave to write that.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 09:57:07 PM »
Alan was paid by Dave to write that.

Alan doesn't need my help!  :mrgreen:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2024, 10:08:45 AM »
Looks to me like someone in design found a leftover box of specially treated sugar cubes from the 60s and has been using them in their coffee.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2024, 10:51:02 AM »
In a thread at MLP, someone said that Cesar must have lost a bet.  ;D  If so, I think the bet must have been with Henry J.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2024, 03:49:23 PM »
Looks to me like someone in design found a leftover box of specially treated sugar cubes from the 60s and has been using them in their coffee.

It's just faux-worldly tat for the deep-pocketed arriviste boomers that Gibson are increasingly trying to wring dollars out of.

You hitchhiked to Marrakech the gap year before you started grinding at Lockheed Martin/JP Morgan? Boy do we have a tastelessly appointed Les Paul Jr for you!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2024, 07:50:56 PM »

It's just faux-worldly tat for the deep-pocketed arriviste boomers that Gibson are increasingly trying to wring dollars out of.

You hitchhiked to Marrakech the gap year before you started grinding at Lockheed Martin/JP Morgan? Boy do we have a tastelessly appointed Les Paul Jr for you!

Ouch.  :rimshot:

All hail Alan the Bruce, Wielder of Wor(l)ds !!!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2024, 01:15:24 PM »
Uwe does not collect for fins...
He is thankful no bass was harmed in this process...
Mind you, he did acquire that BFG LP... :mrgreen:

As for fins, having been guilty of some appalling attrotricities, maybe I should refrain from comment, tbh...
But... having a personal interest in mosaic and having worked on some and planned others (a replication of the "Dolphin Fresco" is still on the cards), two did stand out but I can offer no comment other than the reason people climb mountains... paraphrasing... "because I can..." and he got paid for doing it too...
No doubt, they will sell... not to me, even if I had the spare greens and then some...
Mind you, a 1916 F type mandolin is presently for sale for £3000 local to me at present... looks beautiful too...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2024, 08:27:12 AM »
Uwe has stopped collecting, period!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2024, 08:30:05 AM »
Uwe has stopped collecting, period!

NNnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-\
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2024, 10:33:11 AM »
Long time ago - I have neither the room nor the remaining lifespan for it!

And I haven't really played bass seriously since last summer. My last band petered out so frustratingly, it's created a psychological barrier. No doubt this will go away eventually and I'll get my momentarily rusty playing up to scratch again, but I need a band to motivate me. And that is currently difficult or maybe I am: I want a band that plays at a professional level and with professional commitment even in the absence of gigs. I'm fine with gigs and can slot into a band comparatively quickly (I tend to be prepared), but really the live experience is not the major reason I do it. I prefer a good, productive rehearsal to a so-so gig; gigs aren't really about creating, they are about re-creating. I've also realized that playing in a tribute band is not for me, it bores me to tears, faced with being the Roger Glover or the Ian Hill in a DP or JP tribute, I think I'd give up bass-playing for good. I'm ok with doing a few covers, but then I lean towards radical rearrangements (I'm a so much better arranger than I am a songwriter, I never run out of alternative ideas) - that doesn't seem to be a popular thing anymore, people don't want to go the Vanilla Fudge or Manfred Mann's Earth band route, they want to replicate as close as possible - that bores me to tears. I don't even like real bands that replicate their studio material too close live.

So I really want the impossible:

- a band not only consisting of 20 year olds that still (perhaps rightfully, but I can't join them in that) believe they can be rock stars,

- that does its own material (with all or most band members chipping in) plus a handful of excellent, alternative-arrangement covers that really floor people,

- that features a nimble-footed drummer, a keyboarder/organist that can fluently improvise plus a similar guitarist as well as a singer who works well within her/his limits and knows how to handle an audience,

- that rehearses twice a week on average for several hours and really get's something done, even if not everyone can join for a particular rehearsal (there is always work to do) plus

- has a dozen decent gigs or so annually. Less is more if the gigs are good, yet at the same time the band should have a playing standard to at any moment be ready to play a good gig on the next night.

Surprisingly, for the last 30 years or so I haven't found a band like that, in Germany at least. If they are abundant in your neck of the woods, let me know, I will consider a move there.  ;D 

You will notice that I have not written anything :-X about the style of music - that is because it is of secondary importance to me as long as it is well-made and I can contribute meaningfully to it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 10:42:20 AM by uwe »