Author Topic: '74 Tele project and another Vintera II Tele Bass  (Read 708 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
'74 Tele project and another Vintera II Tele Bass
« on: January 16, 2024, 08:10:48 PM »
  So I decided to use my surf green Vintera Tele Bass as a donor for the '74 body I picked up on Ebay.  The parts swap went super easy and I'm really happy with the results! Looks great next to my just arrived Vintage White  Vintera II Telecaster Bass 🙂 I'll sell the green body to recoup some of my costs.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 07:19:46 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: '74 Tele project and another Vintera II Tele Bass
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 05:19:36 AM »
Looks good, and the compatibility of parts suggests Fender did a good job of cloning the '70s basses for the Vintera range.

Why is every modern Mustang Bass the wrong shape? I just picked up a JMJ Mustang and the treble-side tug bar mounting holes are at the same weird angle as on the new Vintera Mustang Bass models. The body shape is the same as the '90s CIJ reissues onwards. Odd when the JMJ model is supposedly a clone of a '60s bass.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 08:27:59 AM »
   The Vintera II Telecaster Bass feels and looks more like a dead nuts reissue, Fender did a really nice job on these
  Tge only giveaways are the tinted neck and alder body (which I love btw).
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 09:36:46 AM »
  Here's some pictures of the process.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 01:26:14 PM »
Here's a little video of the final result.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 10:54:50 PM by Dave W »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 01:52:25 PM »
   Here's a little video of the final result.https://youtu.be/P4EDsVH-V2M?si=YGqvHIUJySECTZaI

Your videos are impressive!  If I could ask for anything, it would be to have a mic closer to you when you speak - it's pretty echo-laden and a bit hard to understand what you're saying.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 08:34:37 AM »
 Thanks for the feedback,  I reviewed this particular video and the audio seems fine. Any one else experience garbled audio?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 09:45:33 AM »
Thanks for the feedback,  I reviewed this particular video and the audio seems fine. Any one else experience garbled audio?

I may be too critical, it just sounded to me like the mic was too far away from you.  Perhaps it's OK to others. As an old radio guy, I'm pretty focused on getting mics within inches of the speaker. Doing that might require a two-channel mixer with separate mic and bass inputs.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 10:56:55 PM »

It's not garbled at all. You're just a little too far away from the mic. You, not the bass.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2024, 09:48:40 AM »
Hey Scott, since you asked, I've always found your speaking parts considerably quieter than the bass parts in your videos. I have to be careful at work, LOL!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2024, 06:34:27 AM »
You guys might enjoy this, Black Sheep's Payn' Your Dues. There are not many examples of the 70s Telecaster bass on a recordings from the time but I find this to be a particularly good example.  The wide range pickup displays what it is capable of in the studio and Bruce Turgon plays some tasty upper register licks.
  As a side note I have had the opportunity to work with both Donnie Mancuso and Lou Gramm in the past and I am subbing on bass with Donnie in a few weeks and get to play this song, I'm really looking forward to it.  [MEDIA=youtube]2m8lq7xk0eg[/MEDIA]

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 07:28:32 AM »
Link was messed up. Here it is. Sounds good. Never heard of these guys. Gramm was a helluva singer.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2024, 05:02:51 AM »
Thanks for fixing!

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2024, 01:24:10 PM »
Two examples of WRHB Tele basses that I think of:

and...