Author Topic: Early Grabber Bodies were alder right?  (Read 505 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Early Grabber Bodies were alder right?
« on: December 19, 2023, 05:23:02 AM »
   I am going to ask a question that I thought I knew the answer to. The internet is making me second guess myself.  I've always thought that the Ripper, G3 and Grabber series all started production with alder bodies and maple bodies were introduced around 1978. 
   I'm in a discussion with a individual sitting sources (Gibson being one ) that state early Grabbers had maple bodies. Did I miss something here? Is this a case of the same incorrect source being quoted over and over again?
   Help me out I feel like I'm losing my mind.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Early Grabber Bodies were alder right?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 09:25:49 AM »
That has been my understanding so far too that the early ones had alder bodies. Weight must have been perceived as an issue right from the start.

I have a very early Grabber (with a Fender style truss rod screw rather than a Gibson nut) which features an alder body.

But I also have a Ripper single cut prototype and a Ripper early shape whose bodies are both made of maple (and weigh a ton!).

That makes me think that perhaps only the bolt-on models had alder bodies? Gibson had a tendency to only use alder on its cheapest models such as the SB-300.

PS: Come to think of it, I just realize that I have an early Ripper (but already with the later, more pointed body shape) that has an alder body as well.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 09:35:12 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 11:16:16 AM »
Flyguitars says:
the earliest Ripper bodies were manufactured from maple, though in 1975 to 1976 alder was used before going back to maple in 1977.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 11:24:47 AM »
Also from Flyguitars:

Gibson Grabber bass chronology
1973-74 Model introduction - maple body, only wine red or ebony finishes available. However only 1 instrument shipped in 1973, and 219 in 1974 - see the Grabber shipping totals). However a Gibson letter to dealers from late 1975 remarks on "the successful introduction of the Grabber Bass in January of 1975".
1975 The G1 was well received at the 1975 NAMM trade show alongside the G-3. Peak year for Grabber production, 2637 instruments shipped. Natural Satin finish also now available, these guitars having an alder body and maple neck.
1976 White finish introduced.
1977 Walnut and Maple Gloss finishes introduced. Maple Gloss is simply clearcoat over a maple body. Grabbers were available in maple and alder.
1982 Candy Apple Red and Metallic Blue finishes available.
1984 Model discontinued, final Grabber shipped.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 12:46:22 PM »
   Thanks Rob I had already read Jules's section on the G series but It is one of the sources I was wondering about.  I  guess you learn something new every day.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird