Author Topic: Randy Hansen on the Audiovox 736  (Read 485 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Randy Hansen on the Audiovox 736
« on: November 22, 2023, 06:43:06 PM »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Randy Hansen on the Audiovox 736
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 09:13:37 PM »
Yep, the sound is primitive but it's actually there.  Sounds like the developmental step that it is.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 11:17:55 AM »
I've heard some modern basses sounding worse than this 87 years old instrument. My hat's off to Paul Tutmarc. Leo knew what to copy.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 03:49:54 PM »
Why not get a real bassist to demo it, rather than that wannabe Hendrix street performer?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 09:35:59 PM »
Why not get a real bassist to demo it, rather than that wannabe Hendrix street performer?

:rolleyes:

He's hardly a "street performer." I'm not a fan of tribute acts, but as these things go, he's had a long and fairly successful career.

He probably has connections at MoPOP in Seattle.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 07:18:52 AM »
MoPOP and Janie Hendrix seem to be on the same plane of not really honouring Jimi's legacy in the best manner. Hansen zeroes in on the stagecraft of '67 - '68 Hendrix rather than the musical creativity and expression of '69 - '70 Hendrix. It keeps Jimi pegged as a circus performer who did wild tricks on guitar.

It must feel a bit strange doing a Hendrix act for decades longer than Jimi lasted as a creative force.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 11:25:20 AM »
MoPOP and Janie Hendrix seem to be on the same plane of not really honouring Jimi's legacy in the best manner. Hansen zeroes in on the stagecraft of '67 - '68 Hendrix rather than the musical creativity and expression of '69 - '70 Hendrix. It keeps Jimi pegged as a circus performer who did wild tricks on guitar.

It must feel a bit strange doing a Hendrix act for decades longer than Jimi lasted as a creative force.

There is a division, though, between those who prefer early or later Hendrix.  I prefer the early music.  This leaves me often in the minority and sometimes the object of hostility.  It's why years ago, for instance, I had no choice but to leave a Hendrix forum.  While I was still there, however, I did get to know a guitarist who knew so much about Hendrix that it was amazing.  He also used to hang out a little with Noel Redding and knew more about him than anyone you'll ever meet, etc.  In his case, he liked all of Hendrix's music, although probably not the early stuff as much as I do.  I think I liked "Are You Experienced" and "Axis: Bold as Love" as much or maybe even more than "Electric Ladyland."  When it came to music with Buddy Miles, some of that was good, but sometimes it was lacking, IMO. 

As for people doing Hendrix covers, that's debatable, too, no matter who you are talking about.  Usually, they aren't very good.  Noel Redding also thought some of that stuff was like a macabre clown act.  Especially when people would get up on stage, dress like Hendrix, etc.  I could go on forever.  I also don't like Beatles tribute bands.  Those are always a disappointment no matter how much they try to sound like the Beatles. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2023, 03:13:21 PM »
I wonder what the 'Hendrix effect' is that meant Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell didn't go on to do anything else of big musical significance in the '70s and beyond. Mitch's drumming stands up to scrutiny, but his post-Hendrix discography is scant and infrequent. Redding apparently was quite bitter about many things and occasionally claimed he was Jimi's equal on guitar?

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2023, 05:35:45 PM »
I wonder what the 'Hendrix effect' is that meant Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell didn't go on to do anything else of big musical significance in the '70s and beyond. Mitch's drumming stands up to scrutiny, but his post-Hendrix discography is scant and infrequent. Redding apparently was quite bitter about many things and occasionally claimed he was Jimi's equal on guitar?

There may have been a brief moment when Redding deluded himself into thinking he was better on guitar than he actually was.  But I don't think he seriously believed he was ever better than Hendrix.  I've read that there were times when both Noel and Mitch Mitchell were actually in awe at what Hendrix could do on stage.  Redding was bitter because he figured out how much money he had been cheated out of.  Of course, that was the management's fault.  Hendrix had nothing to do with it.  But Noel knew that.  He later said that if Hendrix had lived he would have tried to help him with stuff like that.  Noel Redding did take what money he had made and bought a house in Ireland. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 06:37:41 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal