Author Topic: Sunn is back!  (Read 1711 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Sunn is back!
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2023, 11:13:59 AM »
I really liked the Sunn Coliseum-300 amp I had.  Wonderful EQ options, and sounded great.  I only sold it because I got old and had to go with lighter gear.  I think their decision to use Class D as part of their lineup makes a lot of sense.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2023, 11:47:04 AM »
I was not aware that Mission was a U.S. based OEM for other companies. The brand relaunch makes even more sense in that context. 

I may need to get one of these T shirts.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 08:24:08 PM by BeeTL »

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2023, 01:56:57 PM »
In a world of class D bass heads that fit in your gig bag pocket and produce 500—1,000 watts of awesome bass tone without clipping or farting out, I honestly don't understand these. But to each their own.

It looks better than my GK MB500, I'll give you that.

Yes the Class D handbag amps sure are a nice thing if you don't have a crew or even bandmates to help load in and out. I love my pair of Streamliners. But the best tone I get is from my 67 Showman through a Sunn 4x12" sealed cab with 60w Celestions. Which comes sorta close to what my lamented 68 Hiwatt produced.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2023, 07:39:09 PM »
In a world of class D bass heads that fit in your gig bag pocket and produce 500—1,000 watts of awesome bass tone without clipping or farting out, I honestly don't understand these. But to each their own.

It looks better than my GK MB500, I'll give you that.

Thanks to Happy Face for reminding me of this.  I've always used GK amps and agree the MB series doesn't look great (sound great, though).  But have you checked out the newer Legacy series?  I love my L800.  It looks like a mini 800RB.  Sounds and looks great, IMO.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2023, 05:44:46 AM »
Yes the Class D handbag amps sure are a nice thing if you don't have a crew or even bandmates to help load in and out. I love my pair of Streamliners. But the best tone I get is from my 67 Showman through a Sunn 4x12" sealed cab with 60w Celestions. Which comes sorta close to what my lamented 68 Hiwatt produced.

You can still get those amps serviced by the guy that designed them. The front LED had gone out on mine , so I sent it off. It’s like a brand new amp now , and was well worth investing in.
It’s been a while since they were made.