Author Topic: Randy ...  (Read 974 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Randy ...
« on: July 28, 2023, 03:50:55 PM »
... got his final wings I guess.

That shyly mumbled "Thank you ..." at the end of the song that instilled fear in him performing it live is touching.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Randy ...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 05:13:48 PM »
Thanks for what you gave us Randy.  RIP. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 08:06:18 AM »
Sad. Fly high...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 08:25:44 AM »
... got his final wings I guess.

That shyly mumbled "Thank you ..." at the end of the song that instilled fear in him performing it live is touching.

I'm assuming the video you posted is the Cap Center 1977 clip, which is the definitive live version - and the one that Henley has lawyers chasing down every time it shows up on YouTube. There are often - when musicians pass on - musings in print and other media of impromptu jam sessions in the Great Beyond, involving the recently departed and those for whom the bucolic environment there is more familiar. It's a nice thought, although I prefer thinking that the first thing Randy did when he checked in was punch Glenn Frey in the mouth again... "one more time".
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 01:29:32 PM »
Yeah, the Eagles ... a Band of (if not airborne, then at least feathered) Brothers!

Henley catches a lot of flak because he is so rigid, but Meisner, Leadon and Felder would probably all vote Frey as the one Eagle they'd like to punch - repeatedly.

Still a sucker for his voice and really miss him in the band.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2023, 06:24:14 AM »
Innocent days ... Always liked what Leadon brought to the band too. Not really a rock guitarist, but a fabulous Americana musician.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2023, 10:21:53 AM »

I like The Eagles early stuff, with Joe Walsh, not so much.

Mr. Miesner RIP, here with a nice bass part/solo @2;20 on the outro of my fave Eagles song, "Outlaw Man.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2023, 11:01:04 AM »
As someone has accurately observed, Randy Meisner was the George Harrison of the band.  Here he is on vocals.  Despite all the great stuff they did, the Desperado album is my favorite.  The album is very underrated, IMO. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2023, 01:39:44 PM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2023, 01:49:58 PM »
  I like The Eagles early stuff, with Joe Walsh, not so much.

Mr. Meisner RIP, here with a nice bass part/solo @2;20 on the outro of my fave Eagles song, "Outlaw Man.

It's the first Eagles song I ever heard and one of my favorites too - also one of the heaviest tracks they ever did, though not written by them, but by David Blue:

But Frey, the ole crooner, really gave the verse a stronger melody, the chorus wasn't changed as much, save for the stacked Eagles harmonies. Strangely, the track reminded me of Uriah Heep when I first heard it.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2023, 03:25:52 AM »
Rest in peace...
I did see him sing TITTL on "that" tour in '77...
Had a bunch of stuff he worked on before and post the Eagles including Rick Nelson...
My curious regret was that Dan Fogelberg was scheduled to support on the HC tour but pulled out at the last minute...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2023, 09:51:48 PM »

Felder, of course, on guitar.  I'm not sure who the singer is.  It can be a challenge, however, to do a tribute to Randy Meisner when you may find yourself hard-pressed to find a singer who can match Meisner's vocal range. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 11:23:15 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2023, 11:28:46 PM »
I saw that too a few days ago - nice.

Timothy could have handled the song with ease, but he refused saying it was Randy's song. So Glenn - who had co-written it - did it after Randy had left - minus the falsetto parts at the end.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2023, 11:34:14 PM »
I saw that too a few days ago - nice.

Timothy could have handled the song with ease, but he refused saying it was Randy's song. So Glenn - who had co-written it - did it after Randy had left - minus the falsetto parts at the end.

For that to be such a great song, they sure had a lot of problems with it--all having to do with personal issues it seems. 

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2023, 02:40:27 PM »
Vince Gill does a good job singing "Take It To the Limit."  The second video is Vince from long ago. 

« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 02:51:51 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal