Author Topic: NBD Univox Hi-flyer phase III bass  (Read 818 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
NBD Univox Hi-flyer phase III bass
« on: June 30, 2023, 06:46:14 AM »
I had a phase II Hi-flyer briefly in 1973-1974, my first solid body bass following my Klira and Hofner.  By 73 it became clear to me my hollow violin basses weren't cutting it and I needed a solid body bass, trouble was I had zero dollars.  I scrapped up 30 bucks and road my bike up to The House of Guitars and  bought a used Hi-Flyer, I returned home on my bike with it slung over my shoulder.  I
    I thought very highly of it then,  it sounded good and played fantastic. I didn't have it long but I always remembered it fondly. More importantly it was my first step that would lead me to Thunderbirds.  Interestingly I would briefly own a 60s Mosrite in '75 and the Univox compared very favorably.
   I've wanted a Hi-Flyer for my early years collection for a long time but other priorities seemed to always pop up. As a present for my recent Bday my dear wife let me get this '75 phase III in Sunburst.  I always thought these were the best version with the humbucking pickups and upgraded tuners.
   I gotta tell you I am really pleased with this bass build quality is very high and it plays and sounds great! I was a bit surprised that my memory of the bass was exceeded by having one in my hands today.  Video review coming soon.Image Url =

This Image was Uploaded by - http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=imgur_upload.upload_image_to_imgur Image Url =

« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 06:55:06 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

morrow

• View Profile
Re: NBD Univox Hi-flyer phase III bass
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 07:54:11 AM »
I found one a while back , it’s a Phase 2 with the P90 style pickups , and I’ve come to really love it. I think mine’s from around 73 or so. Now mine is strung with flats , and I tend to go for a rich old school thump. You have a very different preference for tone.
I started dragging it out to rehearsals and gigs. It sounds really good. It’s also extremely light. The neck is lovely. And I’ve become quite taken by it. I put Jazz style knobs on it but have safely kept the originals. I like the bridge cover.
Now you may find it’s too tiny , or too light.
I was not prepared to like it as much as I have.

Have fun with it , I’ll be interested in how you feel about it.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 08:02:03 AM »
Now the tuners on mine were not very good. I went looking for replacements but couldn’t find a true replacement. They were on a lot of Matsumoku instruments in the mid 70’s.
I came across a YouTube video that suggested that a good cleaning and lubing might be all they needed.

And they now work perfectly , no slipping. It’s a miracle. It also made me wonder how many tuners have been needlessly trashed.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 07:15:50 AM »
Congrats!

Last week I've lowballed this one and lost.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 12:21:45 PM »
Those are indeed very nice to play and sound good. I had a single-coil sunburst one for a while in the 1990s. Wish I still had it.  I mangled mine into a sort of homemade baritone by converting it (badly and cheaply) into a six-string instrument. I don't know where that instrument ended up.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 08:21:11 AM »
Scott uploaded this yesterday.

Really sounds great to me.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2023, 10:51:15 AM »
I found mine in Ontario for a very reasonable price , it had been sitting there for a while. Mine is very light , the body is thin. Now some may equate the light , thin body as “cheap” , I think of it more as being very comfortable. I had always thought a Mosrite style bass would be fun , and was aware the originals had some design issues. Many that have owned both have told me the Flier is a much better instrument. So I was happy to find one.

Mine is strung with flats and carries a very substantial , rich , and deep thump. It sits in a band mix with authority. It sounds really good. Regardless of the amp I’ve used.

The neck is slightly on the thin side but not overly so. There is a slight taper but the upper register is very comfortable to play. There’s a three position selector switch and then master tone and volume pots. So you can’t dial back or mix the pickups , it’s all or nothing. On the other hand there is a lot to be said for the simplicity of two knobs , even at the expense of fine tuning control. However it does sound really good.

I’ve been using it much more than I expected to. Both on gigs and at home. Those that have played it like it a lot.

Now many of these underwent serious abuse in the fifty years they’ve been around. But if you enjoy a short scale , and see one going for a reasonable price…

Grab it.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 11:47:08 AM »
A minute or so of goofing around on the Flier , it’s in a little Darkglass e500 and a mini Phil Jones C2 cab.  The preset used in the e500 is one I just made.
I was after a pretty straightforward basic tone , no weirdness there except for the slightest touch of reverb to have a little more room sound.
Clicks and buzzes are all me.

The Flier really is a fine little thing.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 03:39:45 PM by morrow »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023, 02:48:57 PM »
Sounds great!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2023, 02:50:03 PM »
 Here's a little video of mine. I get to yaking but I do play it about half way through. 

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2023, 01:15:37 PM »
Ah, my first bass (not including an awful Kay that I rented). I bought it and the accompanying UB250 amp without informing my parents. Dad was very annoyed because he was certain I was "going to quit" and be stuck with the gear. I had the Uni for about two years and then traded up to an Ampeg Big Stud. Wish I still had both...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter