Author Topic: Tbird pickups ?  (Read 777 times)

morrow

• View Profile
Tbird pickups ?
« on: May 20, 2023, 05:10:50 AM »
Some time ago I saw a picture of a cheap Ibanez Talman that someone had dropped a Tbird pickup in. Now I love that little DC Jr and thought that Talman might make an interesting project. Where’s the best place to source a Tbird pickup and surround?
It looks like I might be picking up a Talman on kijiji and this little project might begin to happen. Apparently there’s little taper on the tone knob , so that will be replaced , and the Talman can get a bit neck heavy so I might be picking up some lightweight tuners.
I think the reason I like the Talman is because it looks like it was inspired by some of the Paul Barth designs of the late 50’s.
This should be fun.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Tbird pickups ?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 06:36:29 AM »
I like the looks of the Talman.

I'm not the go-to guy for Tbird pickup advice, but these have been popular here.
https://www.eyguitarmusic.com/Thunderbird-Bass-Pickup-Vintage-Style-for-GibsonChromeNickel_p_2287.html

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 06:56:47 AM »
Thankyou , Dave!
That looks perfect. I think the odds are that I will be off to Lunenburg today to pick it up. And once I have it I will order that pickup and surround.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 04:09:25 PM »
… and ordered . Thanks D.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 10:41:51 AM »
This is the image that got me started. I have a LPJr that I love , so when I saw this with a Tbird pickup I thought it would probably sound great. I like the body shape , it reminded me of the designs Paul Barth was doing in the 50’s, but with an offset twist.
More I looked at it , the more I liked it. The Ibanez Talman is one cheap bass. It’s a budget , budget bass. And after I looked at various shipping options for new ones , one appeared on kijiji.
I have an old grey bobbin Fender Pbass pickup that’s been sitting in a drawer for over forty years. The Tbird pickup will arrive today , and I’m going to get this thing underway … the Talman does have some neck dive and light tuners are said to cure that. I haven’t ordered them just yet.
My first real mod job aside of dropping in Hipshot replacement bridges.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 10:44:35 AM »
Here’s mine as bought , before any changes.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 08:15:44 PM »
I like the look of them too. They used to make Talmans at several price points... doesn't look like they do anymore, but the TMB2000 was pricey, around $1500 if I recall. 
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 08:27:29 PM »
Looking forward to seeing and hearing the results.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2023, 04:36:33 AM »
I like the look of them too. They used to make Talmans at several price points... doesn't look like they do anymore, but the TMB2000 was pricey, around $1500 if I recall.

This black one is dirt cheap. I could have had a new one delivered to my door for $321. Cdn . And I found a used one on kijiji. Made in Indonesia , seems to be a solid build.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 04:22:04 PM »
The pickup arrived yesterday so today I got busy. I’m waiting for word on some lightweight tuners , and sometime I’ll probably change the pots. They do not have an even taper.
But the Tbird pickup is in.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 10:40:19 PM »
It certainly looks good. How's the sound?

I played a Talman in a store once, it sounded good. Wasn't in the market though, I had come to look at something else. The criticism I've seen is that the tuners are cheap, but it sounds like you plan on changing them anyway.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2023, 05:27:42 AM »
It sounds good , but I can’t say it’s remarkable. I haven’t changed the Pbass pickup yet , I’ll need to get the plastic covers and plan to order those when the tuners are in stock , the pots will go too. (I don’t understand why they would put such a short taper on a pot.)
It has some neck dive when you put it on your knee , more so than with a strap. And it’s heavier than the basses I usually play these days.
So I’ll have some fun , but I’m not expecting a miracle. I like the look of it. It does have a big chunky neck for a little short scale. And I can become accustomed to a different neck fairly quickly. With having a bunch of basses my tastes have become fairly broad.
I would recommend trying before buying … but all said , I’ll have my fun.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2023, 04:25:27 PM »
  Those Chinabuckers sound pretty darn good and I bet it will really make that Talman come alive!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird