Author Topic: Are 2001 Gibson Thunderbird pickups different?  (Read 1110 times)

Ken

• View Profile
Are 2001 Gibson Thunderbird pickups different?
« on: April 20, 2023, 07:42:39 AM »
People with 2001 Thunderbirds say that they just sound better than other years.  Anyone know if the TB+ that year were somehow different?  I ask partly because I'm buying them from someone who is swapping them out for other pickups.  Since I'm left-handed, I'm limited to 2013 or 2018.  If the TB+ from 2001 are somehow different, it would be fun to put them into one of my two 2013s.  If they're not, and there's some other reason for the difference in tone, then oh well; I have a spare set of TB+.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Are 2001 Gibson Thunderbird pickups different?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 07:51:59 AM »
Someone, maybe Mark, posted years ago about the differences in pickups he had found over the years. I don't remember the specific years, though.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 08:08:45 AM »
Huh, I thought they have continuously upgraded the TB Plus pups over their now almost 40 year production cycle?  ???  Output has certainly been beefed up over the years - the loudness war!  :mrgreen: I have TB prototypes from the 80ies that already have soap bar pups that sound a lot less loud and dense than what you currently hear mounted on TBirds.

"Someone, maybe Mark, posted years ago about the differences in pickups he had found over the years."

Yes, it was Dr Mark'n'stein with his unholy, wretched experiments committing his soul to eternal darkness.

https://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=10677.msg184511#msg184511

« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 08:36:50 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 10:22:53 AM »
Inquiring mind wants to know!

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 10:23:23 AM »
Uwe, you don't have one of every year?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 11:05:24 AM »
(enraged) HAVE I EVER COLLECTED FOR FINS OR PRODUCTION YEARS?!

:mrgreen:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 04:10:58 PM »
(enraged) HAVE I EVER COLLECTED FOR FINS OR PRODUCTION YEARS?!

:mrgreen:

Gott in Himmel!  ;D 

Over the years I've seen at least 5 different pickups in post '88 Thunderbirds, including unpotted and potted versions of this fellow.

There's at least three variations of the twin coil design as well, they're all potted, some have a large magnet on the bottom, some have an additional brass blade embedded in the epoxy. The ones on the 2015 are very different and certainly the best sound of any of versions, no surprise there, Jim DeCola designed them. I have a Studio that just has the stock TB Plus in it and would say they're perfect match for a set neck bass, even though I don't care for the black plastic covers I'd never change them out, they sound just fantastic in the right bass.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 06:11:55 PM »
The Jim DeCola pups are sort of the high end version of regular TB Plus pups - not yet sterile, but with audibly more definition and clarity, yet retaining all necessary oomph. Why they did not just continue with those on all models going forward is one of Gibson's many unsolved production and marketing mysteries.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 07:42:08 PM »
Really curious how different the TB+ is between a 2001 and 2013. And since at least the 2013's is completely embedded in epoxy, not sure there's any way to tell, at least visibly. I'll see what the 2001s look like when I get them.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2023, 07:44:39 PM »
The Jim DeCola pups are sort of the high end version of regular TB Plus pups - not yet sterile, but with audibly more definition and clarity, yet retaining all necessary oomph. Why they did not just continue with those on all models going forward is one of Gibson's many unsolved production and marketing mysteries.

I wonder how close to the 2015s those ones on Reverb are that look just like the 2015s. I think they're called "Eric."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2023, 08:10:01 PM »
Huh, "Eric"?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 11:29:26 PM »
Eric = Ey Parts (=HongKong Bucker)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2023, 05:24:56 AM »
Eyguitar Music, Qingdao

What a weird anagram, they must be all smoking opium there!

Qingdao ain't Hongkong though, Rob, that's like saying you're a Holländer! Which I never would.

Historically interesting place, by the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Tsingtao

"As the German garrison was able to hold out for nearly two months despite the naval blockade with sustained artillery bombardment and being outnumbered 6 to 1, the defeat nevertheless temporarily served as a morale booster. The German defenders watched the Japanese with curiosity as they marched into Tsingtao but turned their backs on the British when they entered into town.[18] So deep was their anger that some German officers spat in the faces of their British counterparts.[18]

Japanese casualties numbered 733 killed and 1,282 wounded; the British had 12 killed and 53 wounded. The German defenders lost 199 dead and 504 wounded.[19] The German dead were buried at Tsingtao, while the remaining soldiers were transported to prisoner of war camps in Japan. During the march to Tsingtao and the subsequent siege, Japanese forces killed 98 Chinese civilians and wounded 30; there were also countless incidents of rape against Chinese women committed by Japanese soldiers.[20] The 4,700 German prisoners were treated well and with respect in Japan,[21] such as in Band? prisoner-of-war camp. The German troops were interned in Japan until the formal signature of the Versailles peace treaty in 1919, but due to technical questions, the troops were not repatriated before 1920. 170 prisoners chose to remain in Japan after the end of the war."

POWs getting treated well in Japanese captivity - what happened that only two decades later they'd be so callously cruel to their POWs?

OTOH, Russian POWs were treated reasonably well in Germany during WW I and look what happened during WW II. Mankind doesn't always progress.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 05:32:09 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2023, 05:47:45 AM »
And Gibson owns two Chinese factories making Epis. Both are in Qingdao. Coincidence?