Author Topic: Epi bolt-on 'bird  (Read 1645 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Epi bolt-on 'bird
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2023, 08:30:51 AM »
Many moons ago, someone from Tacoma or thereabouts, a terribly nice man, talked me into replacing the TB Plus on my Explorer RI bass with those Lulls. I was tempted by the chrome look - always a silly sentiment for lasting musical decisions. The bass had sounded great before, but with the Lulls ...

... it just now sounds about ok'ish, the bass has lost calm authority because of them. I find their praised growl messy to the point of on the tinny side.They have none of the warmth and oomph of the TB Plus - and if you dig in hard, they are not able to take a harsh signal as good-naturedly as a TB Plus. And I've played them over Ampeg SVT, Markbass, Ashdown and Orange.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are patterned after TB Bicentennial sidewinder pups - I never liked those either.

Your mileage may vary.   

They should roar, mine certainly do, should you wish to trade them for a pair of TB Plus, just let me know - I will arrange it!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Epi bolt-on 'bird
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2023, 11:58:32 AM »
No issue, I still have the original TB Plus pups. There is no rush changing it back.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...