Author Topic: Epi bolt-on 'bird  (Read 1647 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Epi bolt-on 'bird
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2023, 06:03:26 PM »
You're left-handed AND you play with your fingers? Man, you're really piling it on!  :rimshot:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2023, 07:01:02 AM »
Amen! I'm a worshipper in the Temple of the TB+ too.

I believe a lot of people replace their soapies just for cosmetic reasons - general nostalgia and untreated childhood abuse experiences, that sort of stuff you know.

I'm a big fan too, even if they're a little noisy.

I think a lot of people change pickups just to change pickups. Like those Duncan Rickenbacker pups. They're replacements made by Duncan, so SURELY they must be "better", right? Not even close.  :rolleyes:

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2023, 08:21:49 AM »
I'm a big fan too, even if they're a little noisy.

Noisy?  I find my TB+ almost dead quiet when not playing.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2023, 09:21:32 AM »
Some older ones can get noisy and microphonic as they deteriorate over time. Maybe the epoxy helps prevent that.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2023, 09:45:14 AM »
Amen! I'm a worshipper in the Temple of the TB+ too.

I believe a lot of people replace their soapies just for cosmetic reasons - general nostalgia and untreated childhood abuse experiences, that sort of stuff you know.

I think the amp one uses has a lot to do with it too, they do sound better I think through an SS rig, certainly there's more clarity, that said, yes I have replaced the stock ones with Lulls in my '89 and they really do sound much better than the original TB Plus. They are much clearer, warmer with a lot of inherent growl that TB Plus just don't have, paired with SIT Power Steels it's a match made in heaven!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2023, 10:21:46 AM »

I think the amp one uses has a lot to do with it too, they do sound better I think through an SS rig, certainly there's more clarity, that said, yes I have replaced the stock ones with Lulls in my '89 and they really do sound much better than the original TB Plus. They are much clearer, warmer with a lot of inherent growl that TB Plus just don't have, paired with SIT Power Steels it's a match made in heaven!

That makes total sense that the amp (and strings) would have a big effect on that.  I usually use GKs.  And Power Steels!

Lulls are warmer-sounding than TB+?  Interesting!  Or are "warmer" and "darker" not the same thing?

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2023, 10:24:18 AM »
Some older ones can get noisy and microphonic as they deteriorate over time. Maybe the epoxy helps prevent that.

Interesting.  The guy who did the lefty conversion of my NR saw the epoxy and figured Gibson did that so they can't be fixed if they break.  Not that Gibson sells them on their own if you need to replace them, of course.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2023, 10:51:35 AM »
That makes total sense that the amp (and strings) would have a big effect on that.  I usually use GKs.  And Power Steels!

Lulls are warmer-sounding than TB+?  Interesting!  Or are "warmer" and "darker" not the same thing?

TB Plus are good through a modern rig, I like them best with a set neck bass like my Studio, they gain a bit of clarity and thump. Lulls are warm and have a nice growl to them, TB Plus are perhaps a bit sterile in comparison.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2023, 12:37:44 PM »
Many moons ago, someone from Tacoma or thereabouts, a terribly nice man, talked me into replacing the TB Plus on my Explorer RI bass with those Lulls. I was tempted by the chrome look - always a silly sentiment for lasting musical decisions. The bass had sounded great before, but with the Lulls ...

... it just now sounds about ok'ish, the bass has lost calm authority because of them. I find their praised growl messy to the point of on the tinny side.They have none of the warmth and oomph of the TB Plus - and if you dig in hard, they are not able to take a harsh signal as good-naturedly as a TB Plus. And I've played them over Ampeg SVT, Markbass, Ashdown and Orange.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are patterned after TB Bicentennial sidewinder pups - I never liked those either.

Your mileage may vary.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2023, 01:02:04 PM »
I'll add that the TB+ take effects very well.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2023, 03:36:45 PM »
Also true. For a leftie you're pretty often damn right.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2023, 03:41:06 PM »
Yes.  We're the smarter ones.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2023, 06:34:40 AM »
So, we're talking about my favorite neck of all time, the bolt on Epi Tbird... I don't know about the newer versions, but mine is wide and on the chunky side, just how I like em.
When I pick my Epi EB0 after my Tbird, the first word coming to my mind is "broomstick", it really feels like a mandolin with chunkier frets...

The original Epi pups are indeed mud, and not in a good way, they are the equivalent of over-wound guitar pups, they are in the 14k range after all. They sound nice with (a lot of) distortion through.
I bought a pair of Gibson authority wrapped in glorious black plastic from a great man from Seattle sometime ago and I am a happy man since.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 11:54:51 AM by exiledarchangel »
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2023, 04:12:39 PM »
The fruit vendor! How are you? Still in Nürnberg?

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2023, 07:12:34 AM »
The fruit vendor! How are you? Still in Nürnberg?

Natürlich! And since last year with german nationality, big win!
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.