Author Topic: buying a bass as an investment  (Read 545 times)

wellREDman

• View Profile
buying a bass as an investment
« on: February 28, 2023, 11:12:18 AM »
  I am about to inherit a bit of Money, not silly money but enough that I can drop £3K ona bass. the money is currently in the form of Krugerands in a bank vault. My Wife very much wants to leave it there. being as how gold never goes down in value over long terms, even if it doesnt perform as well over the short term as other investments. so my question really is this
 is there a vintage bass that I can buy at that price point that will perform similar to than gold (fingers crossed) in terms of an investment ? tbh I can probably swing it even at parity with gold.

there are considerable mental health benefits for having a thunderbird in the loft that I know I can play whenever I want to as opposed to knowing I have bullion in a bank

so is it doable or is it a pipedream?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: buying a bass as an investment
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 05:53:50 PM »
I don't think that's possible to predict, even knowing how vintage guitars and basses have appreciated in the past. But the value isn't likely to go down, and in the meantime, you'll be able to enjoy it.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 03:23:24 AM »
Sounds like a plan. You can study a bit: G&L's are going up, Mustangs were going up. Music Mans are worth a fortune now. Tbirds too. You never know, but I guess you won't lose money.

And even new basses: Japanese Comp Mustangs from the '00s are over 1200 euros at Reverb. I bought mine for half of that. I bought a MIM P years ago. Those were 450 euros new, new Players are almost 1000 euros, so I guess you can sell the old one for 600.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 06:18:52 AM »
On our local online buy&sell a 64 Jazz refin went for $1200 Cdn yesterday afternoon , the seller also had a blackface Bassman with a 212 cab for $1200.
Somebody got one hell of a deal.