Author Topic: NBD Coming...  (Read 1530 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
NBD Coming...
« on: September 01, 2022, 04:36:46 PM »
One of the first basses I lusted after was the LPB Jazz Bass in the 1972 Fender catalog. About a month ago, I believe, they released these Squier CVs. I was contemplating getting one, but my decision was made for me today when the Fender website started running their Labor Day sale and included them at a 50% off. So for $239 with free shipping...

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

morrow

• View Profile
Re: NBD Coming...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 05:22:57 PM »
It’s hard to believe that price.
I grabbed a CV Bass VI last year , no complaints whatsoever.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 10:06:12 PM »
Wow, that's a real deal!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 10:44:14 PM »
Wow, that's a real deal!

Yeah, kind of odd, too. Only seemed to be available direct through the Fender site. Looks to be scrubbed from there now unless you specifically do a search for that model, and naturally it’s out of stock now. None of the other basses listed in the sale seemed to be as heavily discounted, either. I’m anxious to see if the quality on this is as good as the other CVs that I’ve played/owned.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 01:10:51 AM »
Lovely bass!

Discounts might be fairly automated. They might have a glut of these basses and a maximum discount limit of 50% and AI did the math(s), giving you this tasty deal.

LPB Jazz Basses are eternally linked to Herbie Flowers for me.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 05:43:24 AM »
Congrats! There seem to be lots of fender blowouts this weekend. I just bought a Player Acoustasonic Tele over the phone from ProAudiostar for $850. They are advertising used models for $750.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 08:15:54 PM »
As of this minute, it's back in stock at Fender. At least, you can order it, which wasn't true yesterday.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2022, 03:15:31 AM »
Yes, I got another text promoting the Labor Day Sale, and saw that it was once again available. Guess they popped opened another shipping container.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 08:02:07 AM »
Great find!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2022, 09:16:51 AM »
Nice. Those caught my eye too. I got an email or something on my phone. Great price.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2022, 02:18:30 PM »
Lovely bass!

Discounts might be fairly automated. They might have a glut of these basses and a maximum discount limit of 50% and AI did the math(s), giving you this tasty deal.

LPB Jazz Basses are eternally linked to Herbie Flowers for me.

Subsequent info indicates that it is an FSR (Factory Special Run) instrument, and was previously available only in Europe.

Mine is supposed to arrive on Monday.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2022, 11:31:47 AM »
Gotta love that blue.  8)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2022, 09:26:14 PM »
So the bass arrived a day early and in good condition, although Fender really should double-box these things. I've made initial adjustments (truss rod, intonation) and greased up the Indian Laurel fingerboard, which was ridiculously dry. I left the frets alone for now, but they definitely need to be polished. The overall fit and finish is very nice - with a couple of puzzling exceptions: The binding on the neck narrows in width as it gets into the upper registers, and the position marker dots sit half on the binding and half on the wood. I'm assuming that neither of these features was intentional, but neither affects the playability or sound at all - the bass is comfortable and the J-Bass growl is there in spades. I haven't compared it to my other Js yet, but I believe it will stack up well against them, since none are high-dollar versions. A solid value at $239 - but at the "regular" price of $479.99 USD, I would expect more attention to detail. To be fair, though, most of the new, US-made Fender basses I've played of the rack have had various issues as well.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2022, 11:36:12 PM »
It's inexpensive and you can make it playable. I'd say that's a win.