Author Topic: Chas Chandler's former EB-2? Act now...  (Read 1415 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Chas Chandler's former EB-2? Act now...
« on: September 11, 2008, 02:24:20 PM »
Ilan noticed this bass about a week ago in a thread at the FDP about Chas Chandler, I'm surprised nobody here has mentioned it.

The bass has a starting bid of £5000. Why so much?

IT ONCE HAD THE ORIGINAL PAPERWORK STATING THAT IT  BELONGED TO CHAS CHANDLER, THE ANIMALS BASSIST WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR BRINGING JIMI HENDRIX TO THE UK.....ALSO IT WAS THE SECOND BASS OF THE BASSIST FROM THE TROGGS. SADLY THIS PAPERWORK HAS BEEN MISLAID IN THE VARIOUS HOUSE MOVES.

He expects a premium price based on his claim that he used to have paperwork proving it was Chas' bass.

Riiiiight.

Should I offer him an even-up trade for my 2002 Mexican P-bass? It was once owned by Elvis. Really! I used to have the paperwork but it got lost in a fifth dimension. He'll just have to take my word for it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Chas Chandler's former EB-2? Act now...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 03:03:29 PM »
ebay UK is always a hoot.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 04:16:10 PM »
His own pictures reveal some shenanigans, if he is indeed implying that the bass pictured in those old photos is his.

Watch the magic crown inlay move around!

Centered on headstock back then-

Up high today, positioned between the A and D tuners-

Come to mention it, the headstock looks a bit odd to me overall.  The general shape of it, and the position of the inlays just looks wrong compared to what I would expect it to look like:

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 04:53:05 PM »
That odd shape and funny inlay placement, and odd truss rod cover all go well with the nicely shaded finish on the back of the head stock.  Why, you can barely see the wood grain.  I guess that one is different than most of them. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 06:06:43 PM »
it looks like my eb2 which i think is 1964.
Louder bass!.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 06:43:11 PM »
That odd shape and funny inlay placement, and odd truss rod cover all go well with the nicely shaded finish on the back of the head stock.  Why, you can barely see the wood grain.  I guess that one is different than most of them. 

:mrgreen:

I'm sure that obscured grain would have been fully disclosed, if only he could have found the papers.

No doubt he had the back of the headstock strengthened in order to keep the migratory crown inlay from moving any further.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 04:31:14 AM »
Q:    Hi very interested ,not really for the bass itself but the Chas link Can you e mail me all the relevant info and any details Thanks a lot   Sep-06-08
A:    Hi. Not got much to tell really. When we split up in Germany, Noel and I went to Town to see Chas and Jimi, Noel...as he was a reasonable lead guitarist was auditioning for the new reformed Animals II and I was auditioning as Jimi's new bassist. I didn't want the job so Jimi asked Noel if he could play bass. Well he could because I showed him a few riffs and runs in Germany where we used to regularly swap instruments. He liked Noel and his big hair do and he took the job. I travelled around with them for a while as guitar techy bloke then went back to Manchester to join another rock band to to France. So there we have it. If you want a depressing read, get hold of Noel's book 'Are You Experienced'. This book wholeheartedly confirms that my decision not to have joined The Jimi Hendrix Experience was the correct decision. That may give you a bit more info, I'm mentioned half a dozen times in it. I cant recall much abut Chas, it was Jimi who was in sharp focus in those days. Cheers. Kevin Lang.

So the seller declined for the job as Jimi Hendrix bass player and still thinks he made the right decision to this very day?? What a nut case.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 08:28:43 AM »
I googled "Kevin Lang" Hendrix and I get a link to a page from Noel Redding's book that mentions him. He's still nuts to expect someone to pay that kind of money for an undocumented bass.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 08:40:38 AM »
Plus he's nuts for turning the Hendrix gig down.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 08:45:20 AM »
I agree.