Author Topic: Manowar, what's the problem people have with them?  (Read 7192 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Manowar, what's the problem people have with them?
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2008, 06:08:50 AM »
Anything Ross the Boss has committed with Manowar is forgiven and forgotten on the basis of what he did on The Dictators seventies albums.Besides, he left Manowar early enough and never returned. Going from playing with Andy Shernoff (Dictators mastermind) to playing with Geezer Butler's former bass tech Joey de Maio is kind of like leaving Sly & the Family Stone for Kool & the Gang. Now this is slightly unfair. Kool & the Gang are far more enjoyable than Manowar and have less questionable satorial tastes.

Wow. This is probably the first time that being a member of the 'Tators was considered an asset. With all due respect, Uwe, he recorded a bunch of albums with the furry jockstrap boys before jumping (the Viking) ship. In fact, his Wikipedia entry includes the following passage:
"Many ardent Manowar fans have expressed their burning desire to see Ross rejoin the band and write new material with them again, as the time he spent in the band during the '80s is considered as their golden era."
God (er, Odin) help us.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2008, 04:29:45 AM »
"With all due respect, Uwe, he recorded a bunch of albums with the furry jockstrap boys before jumping (the Viking) ship."

I know he did - sigh. But I'm prepared to forgive someone whose guitar work graced Manifest Destiny and Blood Brothers almost anything. Songs like Sleeping with the TV on, Stepping Out and I stand tall are classics. The Dictators not making it is one of the great US rock tragedies. Just listen to "Young, Fast & Scientific" off Manifest Destiny, hear the energy and fun, Mendoza's over the top bass playing during the chorus, the great bridge and then Ross the Boss' killer of a solo (though that might be the other guitarist - "Top Ten" - playing at the end) that just goes on and on but keeps  climaxing ... That track alone contains more musicality and exhuberant rock'n'roll fun than all Manowar albums combined, even Herr Westheimer should be able to say something nice about it.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 04:48:29 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2008, 05:31:15 AM »
"With all due respect, Uwe, he recorded a bunch of albums with the furry jockstrap boys before jumping (the Viking) ship."

I know he did - sigh. But I'm prepared to forgive someone whose guitar work graced Manifest Destiny and Blood Brothers almost anything. Songs like Sleeping with the TV on, Stepping Out and I stand tall are classics. The Dictators not making it is one of the great US rock tragedies. Just listen to "Young, Fast & Scientific" off Manifest Destiny, hear the energy and fun, Mendoza's over the top bass playing during the chorus, the great bridge and then Ross the Boss' killer of a solo (though that might be the other guitarist - "Top Ten" - playing at the end) that just goes on and on but keeps  climaxing ... That track alone contains more musicality and exhuberant rock'n'roll fun than all Manowar albums combined, even Herr Westheimer should be able to say something nice about it.
Aaaah, you just like them because there's a Grabber on the album cover ;D
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2008, 08:39:39 AM »
Never really listened to the Dictators though I did at least listen to the CD they put out as Manitoba's Wild Kingdom.

nofi

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2008, 11:53:18 AM »
i saw the dictators open for rush many moons ago. i left after three rush tunes. handsome dick and co. wiped the stage with them. for me the first dictators album is the classic.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2008, 06:03:59 PM »
the Dictators rule!
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES