Author Topic: Manowar, what's the problem people have with them?  (Read 7194 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: Manowar, what's the problem people have with them?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 09:46:03 PM »
not only do they suck and look retarted, but they're named after a jelly fish.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 09:54:35 PM »
not only do they suck and look retarted, but they're named after a jelly fish.

Ha, Jellyfish are 'core.  No kidding, nearly put my friend in a hospital earlier this year.  Other than that, they've been a huge pita this year.  If it's not tropical storm winds along the Southern US Gulf Coast, it's been purple flag (Dangerous marine life., e.g. jelly fish).

But as far as the band Manowar... I can't say that I've ever paid them enough attention to form an opinion.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 03:00:50 AM »
And you work where?............. ;)

For thye South Australian Govt!    say no more!  ;)
Digresion our specialty!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 03:30:03 AM »
hehehe  :)  I was about to differentiate between the kinds of gay but luckily decided to finish reading the thread before making a comment.

I work with 3/4 Gay guys.

I'm not sure I understand this. Does it mean:
a) that three of the four guys you work with are gay? You must feel terribly out of the loop.
b) you work with guys that are not quite "gay" enough to be considered 100% gay, so they're only granted three-quarters gay status
c) 3/4 of all the men in Australian govt are gay (I'd start wearing a steel plate in the back of my shorts, and NEVER bend over to refill the copier paper). No wonder Aussies always want us to "visit down under".
Please clarify.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 03:54:38 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 05:29:12 AM »
Which Billy Squeer, errm Squier are we talking about?

I have to repeat this as it is a real question, I just forgot to type "video". Which Billy Squier video killed his career? I honestly don't know. I saw him once in the early eighties opening up (pun intended) for Coverdale's Whitesnake. I found him impressive, perhaps mostly for the fact that Kenny Aaronson (ex Dust and Derringer, later Billy Idol and Bob Dylan) was then in his touring band and his bass playing and stage presence just smoked. I later read in an interview that Squier tried to poach both Ian Paice and Jon Lord out of Whitesnake on that tour - now that would have been interesting!

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 05:48:04 AM »
I bet it's this one Uwe...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 06:09:59 AM »
Looks like Paul Stanley rehearsing for Flashdance. But Boy George outdoes them all.

I'd file that under cute-gay, it leaves me relatively undisturbed in my hetero-manhood. Don't think its contagious either.

That vid does feature Kenny Aaronson by the way. That's the way he looked back then, like a member of the Stray Cats.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 06:45:18 AM »
I'm not sure I understand this. Does it mean:
a) that three of the four guys you work with are gay? You must feel terribly out of the loop.
b) you work with guys that are not quite "gay" enough to be considered 100% gay, so they're only granted three-quarters gay status
c) 3/4 of all the men in Australian govt are gay (I'd start wearing a steel plate in the back of my shorts, and NEVER bend over to refill the copier paper). No wonder Aussies always want us to "visit down under".
Please clarify.

nah it means 3 are gay and one is still thinking about it. I explained it (poorly) lower down.  :)

Option C would not be out of the question in my experience. :o

As for visiting us, feel free! We are not all gay but Gayness is a fairly irrelevant "condition" over here. I guess 10+ years of the annual  Sydney Gay Mardi Gras has got us over being too stressed about it. Also we are near the top of the list (if not top) of apathetic cultures.  :bored:

Digresion our specialty!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 07:01:42 AM »
A Manowar thread turns into a gay thread! Who'd-a-thunk-it?

Uwe's Edit: Well, Joey de M. is some kind of hunk-it, ain't he?  ;D

Let me be your Viking bride, my cute little wopster!   :gay: :gay: :gay: :rimshot:

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:13:31 AM by uwe »
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 07:04:58 AM »
LOL    :gay:

T.I.S.M.   - Thunderbirds are coming out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbnM0jKyESs&feature=related
Digresion our specialty!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 07:10:01 AM »
Yeah, that's the video all right.  And I like Billy Squier a lot.  He wrote some great songs.  I remember when he did that video, though.  All of my friends just gawked at it.  As I recall, that was his last hit record, and the last time he made the radio playlists.
When I saw him live, he followed Def Leppard.  They killed him.  Nearly a third of the audience left after Def Leppard played.  By the time that tour hit the West Coast, Def Leppard were headlining with Squier as the opening act.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 11:38:38 AM »

"I'd start wearing a steel plate in the back of my shorts, and NEVER bend over to refill the copier paper).

Now that's no way to any fun............. ;) If anything you likely start rusting back there  :o
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 04:23:47 PM »
I love the Ross the Boss!  I met him when he was playing with the Brain Surgeons a couple of years ago.  Hella nice guy and technique up the ying yang! (Ross kicks in at 0:48)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_lnbVy2CXE&feature=related

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 11:47:38 PM »
Anything Ross the Boss has committed with Manowar is forgiven and forgotten on the basis of what he did on The Dictators seventies albums.Besides, he left Manowar early enough and never returned. Going from playing with Andy Shernoff (Dictators mastermind) to playing with Geezer Butler's former bass tech Joey de Maio is kind of like leaving Sly & the Family Stone for Kool & the Gang. Now this is slightly unfair. Kool & the Gang are far more enjoyable than Manowar and have less questionable satorial tastes.