Author Topic: Gretsch Junior Jet Bass  (Read 1696 times)

morrow

• View Profile
Re: Gretsch Junior Jet Bass
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2022, 08:34:09 AM »
I’ve read a surprising number of positive reviews for that bass .
And the sound was something people were raving about , although there were a few reviews that mentioned a nasty ground hum .

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2022, 10:20:17 AM »
As it stands, anybody wanting to spend serious time playing one of these Gretsch things (the epitome of brand dilution!) would be looking at TV Jones or another aftermarket pickup manufacturer, or enjoy the tone of the bass regardless of the spec of the pickups.

I for one don't consider the Electromatics "brand dilution."  Gretsch is most famous for its hollowbodies, but they've made a lot of very good solid bodies.  IMO the 2220 and 2202 basses are superior to many Squier and other budget line basses.  The Electromatic pickup sources may have changed, but the bodies, necks, finish and overall workmanship are very good indeed.  I have a Gretsch 5123 Electromatic hollowbody and it's a gorgeous bass finished in that orange color that only Gretsch does well.

And if I like the sound, I doubt I would pay more than the bass cost to put a pair of Thundertrons in it.  However, one of the beauties of the Gretsch Electromatic line is that their pickups have identical dimensions to most of the TV Jones and clone pickup lines.  This is like most of the Fender line, so to me it's a feature, not a bug.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2022, 01:51:45 PM »
I did watch the whole video, and his short followup video. What makes you think I didn't?

Because you talk about the paper and two wires and not about him dismantling the video. I thought you might've missed that part, but you didn't.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2022, 01:52:39 PM »
I had a one pickup Junior Jet. A great bass, but I didn't use it so I sold it. I still think about getting the new pink one! Love that.It sure are great basses, especially for the money.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2022, 02:35:11 PM »
I had a one pickup Junior Jet. A great bass, but I didn't use it so I sold it. I still think about getting the new pink one! Love that.It sure are great basses, especially for the money.

I had an old series 2202 single pickup (below), and would have kept it if the neck didn't warp a bit.  I have a 2202 pickup in a Squier Bronco, and it's a nice-sounding bass that I have gigged with.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2022, 02:01:02 PM »
I see the equivalent Talkbass thread devolved into a fifty page spat that was subsequently locked by moderators.

We need to try a lot harder around here.  ;D

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2022, 03:28:18 PM »
 :mrgreen:

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2022, 03:29:53 PM »
Nothing yet about man love or cross dressing or WWII. Dissapointing.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2022, 06:03:59 PM »
I see the equivalent Talkbass thread devolved into a fifty page spat that was subsequently locked by moderators.

We need to try a lot harder around here.  ;D

To do that, we'd have to import a load of Talkbass crazies to threaten class action lawsuits and consumer fraud actions.

People demanding an instant response from FMIC...  :rolleyes:  Assuming Fender/Gretsch want to either correct the description or change to different pickups, it will take a little time.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2022, 08:23:51 PM »
We's just a bunch of mellow types here....unless someone puts chrome where black hardware should be. Or vice versa.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2022, 07:15:28 AM »
unless someone puts chrome where black hardware should be.

You mean in the garbage? Shot fired!  ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2022, 10:34:43 AM »
The update:

He's still a complete asswipe for accusing Gretsch of deliberately misrepresenting their product.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2022, 12:27:25 PM »

He's still a complete asswipe for accusing Gretsch of deliberately misrepresenting their product.

You sum it up succinctly and eloquently, sir!

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2022, 12:52:45 PM »
He's got a bit tetchy on Talkbass as well. Not sure why, his YouTube earnings this month must have bucked up a bit.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2022, 03:45:49 PM »
I watched as much of the video as I could stand.  Preening and self-congratulation, promoting the assumption that Fender made the dastardly decision to defraud Gretsch customers and cover it up.  The smugness is excessive. It's pretty clear that the pickup change was a production change in process and that it wasn't reflected in a specification update on their website. Stuff happens.

I admit I'm a Gretsch fan, and I've never had a problem with a single coil pickup.  If I had, I would have installed shielding in it.

A key point: I sincerely doubt that anyone bought a Gretsch Junior Jet primarily because it had a humbucker pickup.  It's a budget bass that sounds great.