Author Topic: Bill's bass has arrived!  (Read 1092 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Bill's bass has arrived!
« on: March 12, 2022, 06:39:58 PM »
Bill's Harmony H-22 reissue arrived this week!  After wrestling other more immediate problems, I got the chance to play it yesterday.

As expected, it's well set up, in beautiful shape, and has a nice sound.  Strings are rounds and by measuring them are 36 1/4" from nut to bridge!  That's different for a 30" scale bass, but it's due to the bridge tailpiece design and placement.  Flats will come soon. It's light, so it's a bit neck heavy, but nothing obnoxious.  It sounds VERY nice.

My thanks to Barb Walence and our own God Of Thunder!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 12:49:20 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
Re: Bill's bass has arrived!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 08:15:19 PM »
I have several buddies with batwing H22s , they all seem to keep older flats on them , because of the trapeze they use long scale strings .  They’re serious thumpers , and ideal for (old school) blues and roots material .
Nice bass !

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 11:49:41 PM »
Nice!

Also good for garage, surf and surf-inspired music. Example: The Ugly Beats from Austin. I saw them a number of times when I was in Texas. This video is from last July so it's good to see they're still around. Jason Gentry is the bassist.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 05:22:33 AM »
Strings are rounds and by measuring them are 36 1/4" from nut to bridge!

You mean nut to tailpiece, right?
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 12:50:47 PM »
You mean nut to tailpiece, right?

Thank you!  Edited to correct.

And yes, I'm debating between 34" and XL 36" strings for the H22.  I was surprised that the nut-to-tailpiece measurement is 36 1/4 inches.  I'm not sure that 34" strings will be long enough.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 01:50:54 PM »
Thank you!  Edited to correct.

And yes, I'm debating between 34" and XL 36" strings for the H22.  I was surprised that the nut-to-tailpiece measurement is 36 1/4 inches.  I'm not sure that 34" strings will be long enough.

Depends on the brand. LaBella regular long scale are now 38" winding length on the A D G and 36 3/4" on the E (so the wound portion doesn't wrap around the E post). This is on their website. Ernie Ball (unless something has changed recently) are 37"winding length. But D'addarios may be a little too short.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 02:39:39 PM »
Depends on the brand. LaBella regular long scale are now 38" winding length on the A D G and 36 3/4" on the E (so the wound portion doesn't wrap around the E post). This is on their website. Ernie Ball (unless something has changed recently) are 37"winding length. But D'addarios may be a little too short.

Thank you!!

Labella Deep Talkin' Flats are my go-to strings, and I'll check that info - it looks like they should work.  I'm not a rounds fan.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 05:32:50 PM »
   Barb is delighted you like it! Watch GFS I will let you guys know when another bass goes to auction. Again Barb is very pleased that his friends from here think so much of Bill.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 02:06:56 AM »
A Harmony is still on my wish list, because of Ronnie Lane. Especially the later one, with the Fender kinda-headstock. I think that one's called the H-29. I almost bought one once, long story, ....

The original Ronnie Lane H-29 is owned by a friend of mine.

I never played an old one, but I did play the H-22 reissue John Stirratt of Wilco uses. I don't know if ito comes close, but it feels a bit like 'just' an Asian holllowbody.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 06:09:05 AM »
TI flats seem to be what most guys around here have strung them up with . I believe the stock 34 set fits .
(now I’ve never owned one , although I would love one , but that’s what I’ve been told)

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 07:06:48 PM »
Very nice, congrats!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 07:42:28 PM »
Beautiful! I'm glad that worked out!