Author Topic: NGD: Danelectro 59xt  (Read 1803 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
NGD: Danelectro 59xt
« on: October 05, 2021, 03:59:14 PM »

For 20-odd years my one functioning electric guitar has been a Danelectro U2 that I bought when it was relatively young, probably built circa '99. I always liked the way it played, but after a while found the lipstick pickups didn't really suit me... quirky interesting sound, kind of low output and nasal.  I'd been meaning to get something with a little more oomph for ages and so of course I bought...

Another Danelectro! :D

This one sounds quite different though. The bridge pickup, while still ostensibly lipstick-style, is a humbucker. It's also splittable via pulling the tone knob. Even in single-coil mode it sounds louder than the old dano bridge pickup.  Bright as heck though.
The neck pickup, while it's humbucker-sized, looks something like a P90 and to my ears sounds something like one too.

Lots of great sounds here. I'm having a blast with it.

Also - I've never had one before, but the Wilkinson tremolo feels great to me and stays in tune pretty well! Maybe not as well as a locking trem, but certainly good enough for me.

I might replace the tone knob at some point, because it's quite difficult to pull up to engage the coil split.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: NGD: Danelectro 59xt
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 04:04:33 PM »
Just say no to locking trems.

Nice looking guitar.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 08:56:37 AM »
Gotta love the look of Danos.  Enjoy! 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 05:25:00 PM »
I’m a Dano aficionado . Longtime Longhorn user , and have a Dolphin Nose bass , and am waiting for a DC short scale to arrive .
They’re quirky little things , made of Masonite , and despite the light weight are tough as nails .
Those lipstick pickups really respond differently to different strings . Some have called them chameleons .
They’re serious fun !

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 12:31:46 AM »
I’m a Dano aficionado . Longtime Longhorn user , and have a Dolphin Nose bass , and am waiting for a DC short scale to arrive .
They’re quirky little things , made of Masonite , and despite the light weight are tough as nails .
Those lipstick pickups really respond differently to different strings . Some have called them chameleons .
They’re serious fun !

The late Billy Bacon played a Dano Longhorn with flatwounds. Seeing him in person, it had an amazing tone.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 05:08:43 AM »
I’ve still managed to keep the factory strings on mine , it was made around 98 . I have a set of LaBella flats on standby in case I break a string or lose a winding .
Harp players love the way it slides under the mix , serious old school thump .
I thought it just kept sounding better as the strings got older . But the day will come when I have to change them . My favourite Longhorn guy was probably Joey Spampinato from NRBQ . He also used a Dolphin Nose .