Author Topic: It's vegan and gluten-free  (Read 4196 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: It's vegan and gluten-free
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 01:01:39 PM »

I see the honorable and unblemished DTF in New York State

https://www.tax.ny.gov/

take issue with this ...

Australia might join!

https://www.treasury.sa.gov.au/about/what-we-stand-for/white-ribbon-workplace

OTOH, given Australia's geographic location, the local controversial acronym might be UTF for up to f...

« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 01:23:33 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 03:25:43 PM »
Being gluten free is only going to be beneficial to people with Celiac disease or people who are gluten intolerant.  Having or not having gluten has nothing to do with sex.  I am gluten intolerant.  Eating food with gluten makes me sick.  When I eat gluten free food, I don't get sick.  But being gluten free doesn't make anything an aphrodisiac.  I don't know where GP and the people around her even come up with these ideas.  Plus, it's just another example of people making it look like gluten free food is just a fad.  It's not a fad, but reality for people who have no choice but to eat it day after day instead of real food with gluten in it which tastes better 99% of the time.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 04:01:59 PM »
Were the Guess Who singing about Gwyneth? Sam opines.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 08:21:50 PM »
Being gluten free is only going to be beneficial to people with Celiac disease or people who are gluten intolerant.  Having or not having gluten has nothing to do with sex.  I am gluten intolerant.  Eating food with gluten makes me sick.  When I eat gluten free food, I don't get sick.  But being gluten free doesn't make anything an aphrodisiac.  I don't know where GP and the people around her even come up with these ideas.  Plus, it's just another example of people making it look like gluten free food is just a fad.  It's not a fad, but reality for people who have no choice but to eat it day after day instead of real food with gluten in it which tastes better 99% of the time.

A paleontological stomach then. We should have known!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 08:29:11 PM »
Were the Guess Who singing about Gwyneth? Sam opines.

Poor Sam, the co-writer of the song would tell him that he ain't seen nothing yet ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 09:52:25 PM »

What bothers me is people such as GP give a false impression of what all of this is about.  Gluten free food, like I said, is not an aphrodisiac.  It isn't a health food, either.  Unless someone has a problem with gluten, they are going to be way better off just eating regular food.  It tastes better and I think is most likely better for you, too.  By coincidence, I watched this documentary on gluten earlier in the day.  I think it's pretty good and it comes up with some of the same conclusions I had already reached myself.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 06:44:17 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 05:54:25 AM »

10CC weren't told "no" enough, and the record buying public of the early '70s really bought any old shit!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 06:18:09 AM »
Honestly, I can't believe ole Gwyn named the product so crassly; thought her schtick was all classy new age lady - taking the moon beams to the house wives of fill-in-the-high-income-zip-code-of-yer-choice.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 06:39:02 AM »
Honestly, I can't believe ole Gwyn named the product so crassly; thought her schtick was all classy new age lady - taking the moon beams to the house wives of fill-in-the-high-income-zip-code-of-yer-choice.

It fills a pseudo-spiritual gulf in an increasingly secular society. Preying on bored housewives is a common tactic of pyramid schemes as well. All this "be your own boss" rhetoric, when in reality you are wearing out your welcome with friends and neighbours by trying to encourage them to buy crap cosmetics, health potions, candles and ugly leggings. And losing money the whole time.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 08:42:58 AM »
Oh I'm aware of that racket.

Even affluent white ladies tryin to be all gangsta now I guess.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 02:42:20 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 08:50:48 AM »
It seems people today are capable of seizing on anything related to food and creating a fad out of it - and it's often a fad diet that actually is harmful to people.

At least eating gluten-free does one no harm, although unless it's medically indicated, it does you no additional good. To me though, a food labeled as "gluten free" is about as attractive as a 1965 Swanson TV dinner. (Think cardboard under foil.)

I'm one of four siblings, and around age 50, two of the four developed celiac disease. Fortunately I'm one of the other two, which leaves my dietic options open.  My brother and sister who developed celiac were both surprised, and I can't explain why only 50% of the set of siblings developed it.  However, they've adapted well and eat well.  My brother is quite pleased by the development of gluten-free beers, which have steadily improved over the past decade, and now some of them are actually pretty good stuff.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 05:58:25 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 10:58:18 AM »
I know somebody with celiacs and they've been caught out by billed 'gluten free' food which is nothing of the sort.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 01:13:22 PM »
It fills a pseudo-spiritual gulf in an increasingly secular society. Preying on bored housewives is a common tactic of pyramid schemes as well. All this "be your own boss" rhetoric, when in reality you are wearing out your welcome with friends and neighbours by trying to encourage them to buy crap cosmetics, health potions, candles and ugly leggings. And losing money the whole time.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 01:23:21 PM »

10CC weren't told "no" enough, and the record buying public of the early '70s really bought any old shit!

LOL, in this case it was the other way around, (fledgling) 10cc said "no" initially, but management and record company said "YES!". They were goofing around, testing new equipment, when someone heard what they were doing and proclaimed "That's a single!" They thought he was taking the piss! Neanderthal Man (a huge hit in Europe in the early 70ies) had nothing to with 10cc's usual clever songwriting craft and they have always derided it and distanced themselves from it. It never gets played live.

But maybe that is just another myth like the one that their name alludes to the average amount of semen a healthy male ejaculates upon orgasm (allegedly 9cc, but I haven't checked yet) - in true "mine goes to eleven!'-style, the pranksters were supposed to have opted for "10cc".  8)  No, you darn Yanks, I won't convert this into one of your silly Imperial measurements! Live with the nagging doubt.  :mrgreen:

BTW, I made the Neanderthal Man reference because there is this theory that gluten digesting does not come natural to us, but was acquired in evolution. Early man, so the theory goes, ate gluten-free because there was no grain for him to eat. And those people that have issues with it today are maybe just a bit more Neanderthal than the rest of us, thus having to stick to mammoth T-bone steaks!  :mrgreen:

My stepdaughter has gluten issues too. She was diagnosed celiac disease initially, but the docotors aren't so sure anymore. What I can assure you of, however, is that she looks nothing like a Neanderthal (Wo)Man.  8)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 01:41:10 PM by uwe »