Author Topic: The Bird Is The Word  (Read 1024 times)

ajkula66

• View Profile
The Bird Is The Word
« on: March 22, 2021, 04:08:38 PM »
Have you heard about the bird...the most unusual one on Reverb

https://reverb.com/item/33053083-1976-gibson-thunderbird-bass-natural-flametop-5-string-custom-bass-what

The entire storyline behind it seems questionable to me, but I wouldn't mind owning it...for far less money.
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Bird Is The Word
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 06:51:23 PM »
I remember seeing that on eBay years ago. Maybe as much as 20? That's not a bass you forget.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 07:34:23 PM »
No provenance, no s/n. Does look like it started out as a genuine TBird, but all that's left of the original is the husk. Pretty bass but overpriced under the circumstances.

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 07:53:57 PM »
No provenance, no s/n. Does look like it started out as a genuine TBird, but all that's left of the original is the husk. Pretty bass but overpriced under the circumstances.

The lack of serial - which I noticed but with my bad eyesight wasn't quite certain whether it was just a muddy picture - would prevent me from buying it at any cost. With that being said, it's a pretty unique instrument, and an interesting one at that IMO.
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 01:29:56 AM »
"It may be the only Gibson Thunderbird "high C" 5-string on the planet"

Yeah, for sure. No one has ever thought of stringing their fiver EADGC. Definitely justifies doubling the asking price.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 01:35:56 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 11:30:26 AM »

Ugh, Shot at and missed, S&%$ at and hit.   :puke:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 01:23:28 PM »
"It may be the only Gibson Thunderbird "high C" 5-string on the planet"

Yeah, for sure. No one has ever thought of stringing their fiver EADGC. Definitely justifies doubling the asking price.

Maybe he'll string it piccolo and double the asking price.

He doesn't know if it started out as a 76 TBird, that's just how it was represented when he bought it.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 01:41:32 PM »
The string spacing around the low frets looks unusable.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 02:07:15 PM »
He doesn't know if it started out as a 76 TBird, that's just how it was represented when he bought it.

I find it hard to believe that someone would use a good vintage bass as a platform for a project like this, when they can just get a 5-string Epi 'bird and have it pimped, re-topped or whatever. It's not like this was the smashed Bass of Doom.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 04:11:03 PM »
I find it hard to believe that someone would use a good vintage bass as a platform for a project like this, when they can just get a 5-string Epi 'bird and have it pimped, re-topped or whatever. It's not like this was the smashed Bass of Doom.

Same reason instruments got Alembic-ised in the '70s I guess. Take an off-the-peg instrument and make it an artisan masterpiece by adding a gaudy maple top, brass hardware, military-spec electronic components, lurid inlays. No accounting for taste! Just make it look flashy and obviously upgraded.

Or just 'cocaine decisions' as Zappa put it!

With re-topped instruments you wonder what horror of Bondo and crumpled up newspaper might lurk underneath. Passive Gotoh pickups seem a slightly poverty-spec move after shelling out for fancy wood as well.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 09:22:28 PM »
The headstock speaks for its origins indeed going back to a Bicentennial. Too large for a post-1987 model, you couldn't squeeze five tuners on that. Also the back of the headstock evidences that four large tuners were mounted once, Bicentennial style.

I can't make up my mind from the pics whether the back shows a belly bevelling on the upper wing or not - if not then ----> Bicentennial, only those lacked these.

But it really doesn't matter. You have to buy this bass for what it is now, not for what it was once.

Personally, I think it looks horrible the way they have now obscured the trademark TBird center block with that godawful flamed maple, brrrrrr ...  :puke:

Ironically, I have a 5-string LPB-2 with the same flamed maple look strung to a high C too. It sounds better in theory than in practice, the C string already sounds very geetardish, so it's more of a 4+1 solution.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 09:36:04 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 04:14:23 AM »
Ironically, I have a 5-string LPB-2 with the same flamed maple look strung to a high C too. It sounds better in theory than in practice, the C string already sounds very geetardish, so it's more of a 4+1 solution.

Hardly surprising. For EADGC tuning I'd opt for a short scale, they have more meat in the higher notes.

Same reason instruments got Alembic-ised in the '70s I guess

This doesn't look like a 70s mod, more like something that was done in a period when the value of old Gibsons was widely known. That's why I suspect the carcass used here was from a damaged, routed, or otherwise butchered bass. 

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 10:38:54 AM »

20-30 years ago TBirds were cheap and not so in demand; assuming the story is true.

Peronally, I think he may have given up the ghost with the bit about the pups being drop in - seems likely a 90s or such reg humbucker sized pup jobby (maybe even an Epi) may have been the original animal if that is true (again he could be wrong).

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 10:44:48 AM »
I'm mostly curious if that thing will sell, and at what price.