Author Topic: Ted Nugent auction  (Read 1678 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Ted Nugent auction
« on: March 17, 2021, 02:23:14 PM »
Coming March 27, Here's your chance. Bidding is open now.

Advertised as Guns, Guitars and Cars, also includes everything from amps to crossbows. Ted's '68 Bronco Half Cab is expected to fetch $50-80K.

Please, let's leave politics out of any comments.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Ted Nugent auction
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 02:49:17 PM »
Okay, no politics. 
But Ted sucks :popcorn:  :mrgreen:

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 06:47:18 AM »
Can't we all just get along? Nice to see even Tom Morello can extend an olive branch.

https://loudwire.com/tom-morello-ted-nugent-friendship/

That's a sweet Bronco. Would rather have one like that than whatever Ford's rolling out these days. Will be interesting to see what some of that stuff goes for.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 11:06:19 AM »
I don't have an issue with saying that Ted is a fine, fluid und rhythmically strong guitarist. I never cared much for his singing, hence I'm always pitching for Derek St. Holmes. I own all of Ted's studio and a lot of his live albums.

Ted has politicized his music himself. Modern day Lynyrd Skynyrd are hardly less conservative, neither are Jack Blades of Night Ranger or Rick Springfield or Alice Cooper. I own all albums of all these four artists as well. But they are not inane about it. Ted, unfortunately, relishes in being a buffoon and outrageous scarecrow for liberal minded people. That is best ignored when discussing his musical abilities. It sure hasn't helped his career either, but has obscured it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 07:20:35 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 04:43:23 PM »
Ted Nugent signature ammo.....why?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 08:43:29 PM »
Ted Nugent signature ammo.....why?

Because, as Uwe notes, he politicizes things.  Others who have a similar bent will no doubt buy it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 10:04:34 PM »
I've never paid any attention to Ted's views on guns and ammo until a video kept popping up in my YT feed within the past year: "Ted Nugent Proves A Shotgun Is Deadlier Than An AR-15"

In the video, Ted "proves" that 12 gauge 00 buck shotshells are deadlier than the 5.56×45mm NATO cartridges that can pierce a helmet at 500 yards. Somebody better call the military and let them know! I'm no expert, far from it, but almost everything he says in the video is either wrong or misleading. The video was a segment from Alex Jones' Infowars. Go figure.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 08:56:38 AM »
I've never paid any attention to Ted's views on guns and ammo until a video kept popping up in my YT feed within the past year: "Ted Nugent Proves A Shotgun Is Deadlier Than An AR-15"

In the video, Ted "proves" that 12 gauge 00 buck shotshells are deadlier than the 5.56×45mm NATO cartridges that can pierce a helmet at 500 yards. Somebody better call the military and let them know! I'm no expert, far from it, but almost everything he says in the video is either wrong or misleading. The video was a segment from Alex Jones' Infowars. Go figure.

I would simply comment that the spirit and the levels of logic and reason are about equal between those two.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 02:18:36 PM »
Ted's shtick has been the same for ages: rub people the wrong way. I first saw him in 1977 touring Free for All and of course he did what he then always did at gigs: Tell the invented story how he and his band had coincidentally just met a group of Hare Krishnas at the local airport only to beat them up. Now I have never seen Hare Krishnas at airports, but Ted met them all the time even when he wasn't flying or when the city didn't even have an airport, but let's not quibble about details. He always won and came away unscathed too, which must be vital for a guitarist. Now we all know that Hare Krishnas like all preachy religions can be a pain in the proverbial body part, but even as a teenager I wondered why it was important for him to tell this night after night. Perhaps he liked the heroic image. Hare Krishna beater, wow!

Fast forward some 40 years und basically nothing has changed. When he shoots ("arrows") a bear, it's not sufficient for him to do that quietly and boast about it before his hunting pals (shoot unsuspecting bear with hi-tech arrow - wow!), he has to film a lurid vid about it, knowing full well how that will offend more people watching the creature die in pain (und trying to get away wounded) than entertain a hunting audience. His mindset is that he tries to be as offensive to people from the main street to the left spectrum as Marilyn Manson tries to be to, say, Evangelicals. Except that Brian is more artsy about it und leaves the bears out which are largely apolitical anyway so I've heard.

It's all not very adult and kind of tiresome, really.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 05:05:27 PM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 03:56:01 PM »
Ted's shtick has been the same for ages: rub people the wrong way. I first saw him in 1977 touring Free for All and of course he did what he then always did at gigs: Tell the invented story how he and his band had coincidentally just met a group of Hare Krishnas at the local airport only to beat them up. Now I have never seen Hare Krishnas at airports, but Ted met them all the time even if he wasn't flying or if the city didn't even have an airport, but let's not quibble about detalis. He always won and came away unscathed too, which must be vital for a guitarist. Now we all know that Hare Krishnas like all preachy religions can be a pain in the proverbial body part, but even as a teenager I wondered why it was important for him to tell this night after night. Perhaps he liked the heroic image. Hare Krishna beater, wow!

Fast forward some 40 years und basically nothing has changed. When he shoots ("arrows") a bear, it's not sufficient for him to do that quietly and boast about it before his hunting pals (shoot unsuspecting bear with hi-tech arrow - wow!), he has to film a lurid vid about it, knowing full well how that will offend more people watching the creature die in pain (und trying to get away wounded) than entertain a hunting audience. His mindset is that he tries to be as offensive to people from the main street to the left spectrum as Marilyn Manson tries to be to, say, Evangelicals. Except that Brian is more artsy about it und leaves the bears out which are largely apolitical anyway so I've heard.

It's all not very adult and kind of tiresome, really.

I've never had any interest in Ted Nugent.  Mostly what I know about him is what I read on this site.  After reading this post, however, I dislike him even more.  I don't know if he has a personality disorder, is just an asshole or is an asshole with a personality disorder. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 11:18:05 PM »
On further investigation, I see that Ted Nugent has had some positive things to say about Golden Earring.  In my book at least, this is a good thing.  This doesn't mean his flawed behavior should be ignored.  But I like Ted Nugent's taste in music. 

« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 11:41:29 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 07:41:11 AM »
Nugent's own music has Motown influences all over, he's not just some white-bread heavy metal merchant. He has really ingested Detroit music on a comprehensive scale and it shows in his playing and groove - there is a bit of James Brown Soul Revue frantic-ness in Ted's live act too. Fellow Detroiters (let's count Flint in, ok?) Grand Funk Railroad had that underneath all their outward heaviness as well.

This ain't heavy metal. (Once again proof how much Derek St. Holmes elevates Ted's music when he allows him to sing.)

And looking at Derek St. Holmes here - it never occurred to me before -, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some Black ancestry with him.

So Ted at least isn't a racist, what a relief.

That makes it all so ironic, underneath the idiot with his inane comments and actions lies a good musician.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 09:28:42 AM by uwe »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 09:37:40 AM »

He's a disgusting human, I hope he dies in horrible pain.

Regarding his music, it was only good when St Holmes was involved with it.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 10:31:37 AM »
Speaking of Alex Jones, here's a heavy metal treatment to him speaking. Works well together.

Animal cruelty is indefensible but seeing what happens to a deer population when there are no controls on it's numbers is gross too. So many dead ones on the roads of eastern long island it's truly heartbreaking.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 11:03:22 AM »

He's a disgusting human, I hope he dies in horrible pain.

Regarding his music, it was only good when St Holmes was involved with it.

So... you won't be bidding on his guitars?  :mrgreen: