Author Topic: Video about McCartney Sgt Pepper sounds  (Read 5395 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Video about McCartney Sgt Pepper sounds
« on: February 06, 2021, 04:56:50 PM »
I thought this was pretty cool:
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Video about McCartney Sgt Pepper sounds
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 04:36:32 AM »
Saw it. Nice and good vid!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 10:57:09 AM »
Speaking as a lifelong admirer of McCartney's bass playing - and assuming that most of us have listened to some isolated bass tracks off Beatles songs - I would like to raise the question: Why would anyone want to replicate the recording technique and/or bass amplification?

I owned a similar Fender bass rig, 1969 vintage, and it was downright awful. Had it been any good, Paul would still be using it, right? Like he still plays his old Hofner, Pyramid flats, Martin, Epi Texan, Gibson uke, etc.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 11:03:35 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 07:08:30 PM »
I think Paul uses just about anything that works!

I don't understand the nostalgia for old amp sounds and recording techniques either (the fabricated vintage sound of The Strokes debut drove me mad at the time, who wants muffled and distorted vocals?), but then is the craze for vintage instruments rational? (Of course, even bringing that up in question form is anathema to the eternal commandments of the LBO!  :mrgreen: ) If you would have handed Paul an Alembic or a Kubicki at the Sgt. Pepper sessions, don't you think he would have immediately chosen that to record after figuring it out?

Paul doesn't need a Höfner to create lasting art, he did plenty fine when he played a WAL. He sticks to the Höfner because it is an iconic image with him (even people who can't otherwise tell a guitar from a bass, recognize a "Beatles bass" immediately) and it feels comfy to him - like a pair of worn-in shoes. When I last saw Paul in Berlin, his Höffie sounded fine, but the SG Bass of the blond guitarist who plays with him and sometimes picks up bass duties sounded definitely better, more tone, more sustain, a more even output across the fretboard. Nuff said (and heard).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 07:19:13 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 10:09:39 PM »
I get it, I would probably never record like that myself - maybe for a song or two at most, if it really fit something I was trying to do. But I love learning how old sounds were made, and I love the bass on Sgt Pepper, though it's far from "my" sound.
 I find things like this fun and fascinating.

While going down the youtube bass rabbit hole I also much enjoyed this, quite different in many regards:
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 06:29:27 AM »
I like both Levin's sparse, but distinct and melodic playing and the guy who does these vids (he does a lot of them, at one point he started wearing a glove with his fretting hand). He's infectiously enthusiastic and has a knack for explaining things. The kind of music teacher you wish your kids to have.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 08:38:54 AM »
If you would have handed Paul an Alembic or a Kubicki at the Sgt. Pepper sessions, don't you think he would have immediately chosen that to record after figuring it out?

He probably would but the fact remains that he still plays the Hofner. And it's a really special bass, and they could never find another that sounded quite the same. You plug it in and it sounds perfect.

He sticks to the Höfner because it is an iconic image with him (...) and it feels comfy to him - like a pair of worn-in shoes.
He also likes that it was so light weight, and that its tone gets better with time, likening it to a Stradivarius.

At least one reason he switched to the Ric was that it intonated well while the Hofner could not be intonated, which caused him to avoid going up the neck. This was corrected by Mandolin Bros when he started using the Hofner again by (so I have read) a partial refret in the correct locations.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 08:47:57 AM by ilan »

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 01:33:54 PM »
I think Paul uses just about anything that works!

I don't understand the nostalgia for old amp sounds and recording techniques either (the fabricated vintage sound of The Strokes debut drove me mad at the time, who wants muffled and distorted vocals?)

Interesting point!

My band plays (played?) psychedelic rock. There are endless nouveau psychedelic bands that go to a lot of effort to sound like garage rock recordings from the '60s. Vocals sent too hot to tape and then bathed in tape echo, drums clattering away as captured with a single overhead, bass a distant rumble, etc. It all sounds the same. My bandmates collect these sampler vinyl records from obscure indie labels and it is all songs from "The X" and "The Y", and it all sounds the same. Skinny guys dressed up like extras from Easy Rider making music that sounds like it was rejected from the Nuggets compilations. The game, really, is just to find "The Z"band and follow them on Instagram before any of the rest of us do it, then pretend to be a lifelong fan. Musical Top Trumps.

My band, to our credit, have taken a different approach. We record with technical prog metal guys who capture everything as carefully as possible. They will happily rack up twenty takes of a single bar of music to get one line of vocal sounding perfect. They will shave milliseconds from parts to bring them right onto the beat, or build guitar solos up from numerous takes, just to find the best performance of a three-note phrase. It is the opposite to just getting a general vibe down on tape. Our band has quite a dense sound, with layers of vocal harmonies, so you can either blur this stuff or try and mix it with a lot of definition and clarity. 

In terms of psychedelic music, there is scope to be both musical Jackson Pollock and musical Salvador Dali. You can capture the frenetic chaos of something happening in real time, and try and get a flavour of this on tape. Or you can build these totally lucid, slightly strange soundcapes delicately, capturing every detail.

As for McCartney, I never understood the fanaticism in trying to deduce whether it was his Hofner, Rick or Jazz Bass on each song. They all sounded the same in his hands. He took a Rickenbacker and turned it into the same dull thump as his Hofner. The brilliance is in the bass lines he composed not the gear; he was cooking with little more than flour and water when it comes to his tone.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 03:54:17 PM »
I read a McCartney quote to the effect that he liked the Ric better but people expected him to play the Hoffner. . . maybe 15 years ago.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 01:53:23 PM »
I read a McCartney quote to the effect that he liked the Ric better but people expected him to play the Hoffner. . . maybe 15 years ago.

IIRC he retired the Ric and switched over to a Yamaha and then a Wal long before he dusted off the Hofner.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 02:20:18 PM »

As for McCartney, I never understood the fanaticism in trying to deduce whether it was his Hofner, Rick or Jazz Bass on each song. They all sounded the same in his hands. He took a Rickenbacker and turned it into the same dull thump as his Hofner. The brilliance is in the bass lines he composed not the gear; he was cooking with little more than flour and water when it comes to his tone.

I appreciate this point. Many of the great guitarists and bass players sound very consistent to me. They may have changed instruments a number of times, but that doesn't mean they sounded significantly different. 

With a combination of fascination and incredulity, I have read many discussions of "which bass did X play on Y recording," usually "cuz I wanna sound like that."  Most of the time I can't hear anything different between the recordings, so I'm not sure why it's important.  The Ox sounded like the Ox on every recording I've heard, and so did JPJ, the Duck, John Lodge of the Moody Blues, and Tommy Shannon with SRV.  Maybe there are recordings of theirs I haven't heard in which they sound radically different, but I haven't heard them.

I'm cool with people deciding to get whatever bass one of their heroes or most liked players uses, but I think most of us sound like ourselves no matter what we play. I know that I do. I don't have a "sound" or "tone" (a word I don't like), but I set up so it sounds good to me with whatever amp and speaker I'm using, and that  comes out pretty consistent. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 03:48:19 PM »
IIRC he retired the Ric and switched over to a Yamaha and then a Wal long before he dusted off the Hofner.

And he was forthcoming about his motivations. I remember an interview in a guitar mag where he was asked why he switched to the Yamaha and he quipped: "Because they gave it to me for free. Hey, anybody who gives me a free bass, is my man!"

I just love Macca for comments like this.

He is on record for saying that the Höfner simply guides him into playing differently than on any other bass. That I understand. Sometimes it's not the possibilities of an instrument, but its inherent limitations that inspire you.

And to me, this is not only the most joyous and bubbling bass line emanating from a Ric, but played with any bass ever. And it sounds like one inspired happy-go-lucky Macca first take.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 04:03:32 PM by uwe »

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 03:30:06 AM »
I think it's clear to most people that a part of his style was there, because of the Höfner. The small, narrow neck and the short sound makes you play a lot of notes. I played a Line6 Variax Bass in Höfner mode once. It sounded okay, but the big P-neck stops you from playing that way. Having said that, just buying a Höfner, doesn't make you as brilliant as Macca, as I experienced.

I think Paul really loves that bass. He stated in interviews many times how he likes it, how it's part of him and how easy it plays, so I don't think it's just a gimmick. His engineers love it too, as you can read in the big new gear/recording interview on musicradar.com.

Nick Wass of Höfner is a good friend and he visits Macca often and checks his basses. He also kinda assembled the vintage back up bass, cos it was hard to find an old bass that sounds like Macca's. According to Nick it's much louder than any Höfner of the era. He also claims that Macca really likes to play the bass. Of course he should, cos Nick is employed by Höfner, but he always tells me like it is.

I saw Paul live. He plays the old Höfner three songs in a row without tuning and it sounds great! I always find it strange all Macca fans want old Voxes and Höfners, but nobody talks about Mesa/Boogie which Paul plays nowadays and on which he sounds better than ever.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 06:19:22 AM »
He extracts from that Höffie what can reasonably be extracted soundwise. On his studio recordings since the Millenium, I don't really hear a lot of Höfner sounds, so it's probably safe to assume that it is mainly his live instrument.

But he looked good with the Ric too. Paul was about 5'10.5" in his prime (just below 1.80m for those brought up with a less archaic measurement system), reasonably tall for a Brit raised and fed on his island in the less than protein-affluent post-war 40ies and 50ies of the last century. Visually, I prefer a "larger than a Höfner" bass on him.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 06:32:05 AM by uwe »

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 08:06:52 AM »
I must admit I never liked his Ric tone. It always seemed to me like he was forcing it into being a Hofner, he even went as far as modifying it with a zero fret. He took all the life out of a brilliant bass.