Author Topic: New for 2021  (Read 12316 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: New for 2021
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2021, 07:10:05 PM »
Rickenslutheader!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2021, 08:46:31 AM »
I'm currently going through a Renaissance (the band with Annie Haslam) phase and read in one of the newly acquired Esoteric Recordings boxed sets a comment by Annie according to which Gene Simmons was a great fan of the band and waved the Renaissance flag with Northeastern US (Renaissance's most successful territory worldwide) DJs. The Demon must indeed have had a weak spot for Brit folkies (abandoned in their home country).

And of course when for once they ventured into ABBA realms  :mrgreen: :

At this rate, the man probably liked Fairport Convention, Fotheringay and  Steeleye Span too!  ;D God of Thunder and, uhum, gentle fo-o-o-o-olk ...

But, like, dude, how are any of these groups folk as opposed too.... poppy adult contemporary soft rock (with production values and runway basslines firmly dating it to the disco era)?  Even wikipedia calls it Prog Rock (another euphamism, which only fits due to the synth flutes and flamboyant basslines); no mention of folk anywhere.  I guess everyone just called it folk to feel better about themselves (prog also had a very sausage party stigma - just ask Rush); humourous code among fellow afficandos (cuz with prog you expect the odd number above 100bpm)?  We are more enlightenned now, Uwe, and so I don't judge you for it - it's ok to be a switch (you're certainly into enough fistup bands), but I don't underestimate the machismo of the day.  If anything more shameful for Gene to be into given his whole positioning (I wanna sip port in my easy chair all night, and tend my garden all day just doesn't have the same allure, but sure the smoking jacket could work).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2021, 10:16:55 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojnbIEgkR0M&ab_channel=Britain%27sRareGuitars

That's a nice looking double neck. Dick Night built Mike Rutherford's Ric double neck as well. Slot heads make sense for both weight savings and keeping tuners out of each others' way.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2021, 10:11:45 PM »
But, like, dude, how are any of these groups folk as opposed too.... poppy adult contemporary soft rock (with production values and runway basslines firmly dating it to the disco era)?  Even wikipedia calls it Prog Rock (another euphamism, which only fits due to the synth flutes and flamboyant basslines); no mention of folk anywhere.  I guess everyone just called it folk to feel better about themselves (prog also had a very sausage party stigma - just ask Rush); humourous code among fellow afficandos (cuz with prog you expect the odd number above 100bpm)?  We are more enlightenned now, Uwe, and so I don't judge you for it - it's ok to be a switch (you're certainly into enough fistup bands), but I don't underestimate the machismo of the day.  If anything more shameful for Gene to be into given his whole positioning (I wanna sip port in my easy chair all night, and tend my garden all day just doesn't have the same allure, but sure the smoking jacket could work).

To real Progsters, Renaissance ain't Prog enough, because the music is too pleasant (Karen Carpenter liked them!) and undemanding to listen to - not like, say, ELP or Jethro Tull or Van der Graaf Generator -; for true Folkies OTOH they have too lush and orchestral arrangements, even though they themselves cited Peter, Paul & Mary as an early influence. Some people refer to them as "symphonic art rock", as a predecessor in a way to bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation who added heavy metal guitars to the equation. I hear Brit Folk in their song structures which have very little Blues or Soul influence. The acoustic guitar is (sophisticated, not Kumbaya-) Folk too. The very classical piano and the neo-Squire-bass-playing plant them with one foot in Prog though. As does the drumming. (There is no electric guitar.)

But the easiest differentiation seems to be:

- girl singer wears long, flowing dresses and does not try to emulate a black voice = Folk;

- as above, but gowned girl sometimes trips over her dresses' seams trying to keep up with strange meters the drummer plays = Prog.  8)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:53:16 AM by uwe »

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2021, 02:02:42 AM »
To real Progsters, Renaissance ain't Prog enough, because the music is too pleasant (Karen Carpenter liked them!) and undemanding to listen to - not like, say, ELP or Jethro Tull or Van der Graaf Generator -; for true Folkies OTOH they have too lush and orchestral arrangements, even though they themselves cited Peter, Paul & Mary as an early influence. Some people refer to them as "symphonic art rock", as a predecessor in a way to bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation who added heavy metal guitars to the equation. I hear Brit Folk in their song structures which have very little Blues or Soul influence. The acoustic guitar is (sophisticated, not Kumbaya-) Folk too. The very classical piano and the neo-Squire-bass-playing plant them with one foot in Prog though. As does the drumming. (There is no electric guitar.)

- girl singer wears long, flowing dresses and does not try to emulate a black voice = Folk;

- as above, but gowned girl sometimes trips over her dresses' seams trying to keep up with strange meters the drummer plays = Prog.  8)

Uwe, what about an easier way of telling:

- Super hot singer = not prog :mrgreen:

Ok, Geddy is the cutest guy ever - but if I was dating in 1975 there would not be much guessing!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:53:41 AM by uwe »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2021, 11:37:22 AM »
   I'm digging the wanderlust green Embassy!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2021, 11:49:13 AM »
It ain't a thing without the furry bat's wing!

But otherwise they're kinda nice.

(Both sentences rhymed.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:54:21 AM by uwe »

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2021, 12:01:05 PM »
One some pics the upper horn looks shorter, but looks deceive sometimes. Is it changed?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2021, 12:06:35 PM »

LOL
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2021, 12:12:54 PM »
It ain't a thing without the furry bat's wing!

But otherwise they're kinda nice.

(Both sentences rhymed.)

German rhyming is almost as bad as their humor. But at least you tried.

:mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2021, 12:21:04 PM »
Break a dam, will you!  :mrgreen:

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2021, 10:36:48 PM »
They look inviting, especially the graphite black and green metallic.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2021, 01:18:22 AM »
But the million dollar question: is the upper horn shorter?