Author Topic: New for 2021  (Read 12314 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: New for 2021
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2020, 09:31:51 AM »

Sorry but that bridge really spoils it for me - 3 Point or Death!  :gay:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2020, 01:02:31 PM »
It's a mystery to me why Gibson doesn't switch over to the Advanced Plating Thunderbird bridge and tailpiece now that it's readily available, especially for their US models.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2020, 01:48:28 PM »
  The cow is a riot. No Genes lates cash grab isn't the bass I am talking g about .
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2020, 12:17:09 AM »
  The cow is a riot. No Genes lates cash grab isn't the bass I am talking g about .

Thank goodness for that.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2020, 06:35:24 AM »
It's a mystery to me why Gibson doesn't switch over to the Advanced Plating Thunderbird bridge and tailpiece now that it's readily available, especially for their US models.

As Gibson (allegedly) don't manufacture outside of the US, aren't they all US models?  Or are you saying that only the US market should have a two part bridge and the rest of the world can go swivel on it?
The future I come from no longer exists.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2020, 07:37:06 AM »
Wasn't Gene on record how he prefers symetric body basses with two horns (LP Junior, Grabber/Ripper, Punisher) to one-horn basses (his blade axe being an exception purely for visual impact, not ergonomics)? Addding helpfully that in the animal kingdom two horns rather than one are the rule too - he obviously never saw a pic of a narwhal(e) ...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/05/drone-footage-narwhal-tusk-mystery/

Well, I guess a TBird (which I think he only played in the past once - in the Phantom movie) is a "no-horn", so albeit non-symetric it defies the above classification.

And of course, the narwhal(e)"tusk" is actually an elongated tooth (used to daze prey fish by hitting them over the head as I've now learned from the above vid), not a horn.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2020, 10:42:06 AM »
I'd say Gene was always horny enough to make up for the lack of horns on his basses.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2020, 12:20:34 PM »
I guess with all this horn stuff being thrown into the mix, it should be noted that Thunderbirds have always been known for being well hung, and as for length... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2020, 08:56:24 PM »
As Gibson (allegedly) don't manufacture outside of the US, aren't they all US models?  Or are you saying that only the US market should have a two part bridge and the rest of the world can go swivel on it?

I'm guessing that Brad was including Epiphone.

Wasn't Gene on record how he prefers symetric body basses with two horns (LP Junior, Grabber/Ripper, Punisher) to one-horn basses (his blade axe being an exception purely for visual impact, not ergonomics)? Addding helpfully that in the animal kingdom two horns rather than one are the rule too - he obviously never saw a pic of a narwhal(e) ...

I know it's hard to believe, but Gene might possibly forsake his symmetric principles if the money is right. Don't be shocked.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2020, 06:01:23 AM »
Oh Dave, how I hate your low opinions of people!  8)

I would actually expect a Genebird ($underbird?) to be active. It's not that much a departure from a Punisher which was all mahogany and neck-thru too; he's gonna miss that easy high fretboard access though for all his trademark slides.

I found this here:

He starts playing at 01:20 and it again goes to show that Gene isn't a metal bassist at all, but very much from the late 60ies/early 70ies school of busy pop bass playing.

He's aware of it too:

Was McCartney an influence on bass?

"I didn’t think of it like that, but once I’d picked up the instrument I understood where A and G and F were because it was the same layout as a standard guitar. My mother was very sweet and bought me a Gibson SG Standard, a very decent guitar to start with. I had to play it acoustically as I didn’t own an amplifier, but I started writing songs with that.

"It was a different style back then, inspired by Lindisfarne, very picky and folky, aimless melodies with no hooks or choruses. Which is why they didn’t become a big band... But clearly were it not for McCartney, I would never have understood that the bass didn’t just have to hold down the bottom end like the great AC/DC, and it didn’t have to be funky like Motown.

"I found there was another thing, almost like a string quartet, where the cello has its own melody against the rest of the instruments. McCartney’s bassline in Michelle; it’s classical. Classical bass playing is pivotal in the way that he approached it, and that’s possibly because he wasn’t originally a bass player. He used it as a melodic instrument rather than as a rhythm instrument tied to the drums."

If you want to read more:

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/gene-simmons-many-guitarists-call-their-instruments-axes-but-nobody-trademarked-it-except-this-guy
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 06:36:49 AM by uwe »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2020, 08:01:22 AM »
Just how many final tours or gigs have they played now...?
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2020, 09:16:07 AM »
Less than Ozzy!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2020, 04:37:31 PM »

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2020, 06:29:32 AM »
I'm guessing that Brad was including Epiphone.

Yes, specifically the Embassy and Thunderbird Vintage Pro models.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2020, 03:15:02 AM »
better pics of the GS Tbirds: