Author Topic: Working up my first build  (Read 2365 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Working up my first build
« on: August 06, 2020, 03:20:01 PM »
17 years ago I bought a pink paisley P for Aussie Mark (I think the seller wouldn't ship internationally). I really liked it at the time (played it at home for a few days before taking it apart and sending it to Australia), but moved on once it was gone. Then over the years, whenever I saw a SCPB like those I'd GAS for it, but never pulled the trigger. I almost got a Squier Vintage one (the Mary Kay looking ones), but I could never get past the necks looking so white (or the other models that looked too orange). So I have finally decided to build one.

I bought a MIM Fender replacement neck that's perfect, and I have an alder body coming from Guitar Mill and have a can or two of Fiesta Red from Reranch in the garage. Other than the fake neck wear, I'm hoping to end up with something like the one below.

Anyone have experience with the split coil Lindy Fralin '51 P pickup? On paper it looks like exactly what I want (planning on the 5% overwound), but I'm totally open to suggestions. I'm not looking to do an exact clone, but I want the look and flavor while having a great sounding P bass.

Bubbalou88

• View Profile
Re: Working up my first build
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 03:28:26 PM »
I like that bass you are building!
I have had Fralin Jazz Bass pickups that were great sounding
I now have a set of Fralin Pure Vintage Alnico pickups in my Gibson SG Standard and love them
While I do not have experience with the Fralin 50's P pickup I will say, I would not hesitate to put one in a 50's P and especially like the idea of 5% overwound.
I had a Fender 51P Reissue bass several years back that I put a Seymour Duncan SCPB-3 Quarter pounder in that was hotter than normal pickups and really liked it. I think it worked better in that Ash Body bass than the Squier CV 50's poplar body bass I tried as I missed the 51 P and wish I had not sold it.
CEO of Retired

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 04:30:15 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts and encouragement!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 12:53:52 AM »
I used a Jess Loureiro split 51 P pickup in the Telebird that I built a while ago.
It is nice to have the choice between the series and parallel sound. Although the difference isn't that big really.

https://www.jlguitars.com/index.php?id_product=30&id_product_attribute=0&rewrite=p-bass-51-coil-split-tele-bass&controller=product&id_lang=8

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 03:08:05 AM »
    Sounds like a fun project! I have always loved the 50's Precision pickup,  it's a ballsy little thing. Video when you finish!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 01:10:22 PM »
 :popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 04:35:25 PM »
I used a Jess Loureiro split 51 P pickup in the Telebird that I built a while ago...

Oh my! That sounds incredible, Rob! It looks like even with the exchange and shipping, I'd be in for less than the Lollar anyway, and that is a GREAT sounding pickup. Thank you!

And Scott, I will definitely post pics and video when I get it all together.

Popcorn for all!

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 08:28:48 PM »
I'm a big fan of the Seymour Duncan STK-SCPB pickup. It sounds pretty much like a single coil without the hum. Some of the other split coils I've tried just sound too much like a post 57 Precision.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 08:29:16 PM »
Lindy Fralin's pickups are beyond reproach.

Here's a set of split J-5s underneath nickel covers.

Ryland uses a Darkglass preamp and a Keely bassist compressor.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 01:12:32 AM »
It looks like even with the exchange and shipping, I'd be in for less than the Lollar anyway

The shipping may take (a lot) longer than it normally would, due to COVID19.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 09:10:04 AM »
Geez, @BeeTL, that Funk Uglies cut is super!! They cook.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 12:35:05 PM »
I've heard the Fralin and the vintage style Seymour, both very nice.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 11:23:01 PM »
First orders in, with paint/materials, tuners, pick guard, neck plate, and various other small parts ordered. Only thing left is the pickup, wiring harness and hardware, and strap pins.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 05:38:10 PM »
I'm in the "Leo got it right the first time camp" . When Fender first introduced the 51 reissue  I immediately ordered one .
Still have it . Funny thing is that it's got the strongest G string of any bass I own . And I love the big chunky neck .
Even came to love the schoolbus yellow colour .

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2020, 04:29:06 PM »

I neglected to get a shot of either the sealing or white under coat, but here's the first layer of top coat and most of my gathered parts (still need knobs and a wiring harness). I went for the Fralin. I still need to relic the shiny metal parts a bit, but most of them came already done. I'm not gonna take a belt sander to anything, but I don't want it to look brand new, either. Maybe a closet queen that's finally come out to be loved?

Here's a total newb question: From what I've read, I think even split coil Ps use 250k pots. Is that right? I did opt for the split coil Fralin to eliminate buzz (and I know I could use any resistance) but I want this to sound like a P. Should I try 250k pots first?