Author Topic: The new limited edition of The Gibson Bass Book is here  (Read 14303 times)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
Re: The new limited edition of The Gibson Bass Book is here
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2020, 10:39:20 AM »
My mail was just delivered. Some of the facilities in Minneapolis & St Paul were shut down yesterday. If mail passes through those facilities to get here, it might get delayed. Not sure if they’ve reopened today. No book yet.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2020, 11:15:45 AM »
Hopefully not, since you live far enough away from the affected areas, but things won't be back to normal in Minneapolis and St. Paul proper for a long time.

There was a sizeable demonstration in Denver last night.  One of my daughters was on her apartment balcony and saw the SWAT team go by - about 14 guys in full gear hanging onto racks and footrails mounted on a big van.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2020, 11:28:18 AM »
My mail was just delivered. Some of the facilities in Minneapolis & St Paul were shut down yesterday. If mail passes through those facilities to get here, it might get delayed. Not sure if they’ve reopened today. No book yet.

It doesn't pass through any of those facilities, and I doubt they'll open soon. But overall service in the metro could be affected, we'll just have to wait and see.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2020, 12:01:26 PM »
I finally had some disposable funds to order one and it's sold out.  :-[ Bad for me, but good for Rob!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2020, 01:37:21 PM »
I believe he mentioned a soft-back version, George... what I'm contemplating as funds lacked for me too...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2020, 05:33:52 PM »

Update to my earlier reply, from my former mail carrier, an hour ago: "Thankfully, the Minnehaha post office in the pictures as well as 2 others were completely closed today and no one was in the buildings, but still. I've heard they've closed off the main post office downtown Mpls so I don't what that means for us tomorrow or if we'll even have mail to deliver."

Here are pics and video she shared (from another postal worker):

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2020, 03:01:13 AM »
Agent Smith was right... likening "us" to a "virus" in the Matrix film...
It just takes the blink of an eye to turn "us" from civilised to feral... it would be an insult to animals to use that word... we do not deserve this place...
Having wandered in, I shall just wander back out...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2020, 01:29:15 PM »
Any LBOers in the USA getting their books yet?
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2020, 08:18:39 PM »
Agent Smith was right... likening "us" to a "virus" in the Matrix film...
It just takes the blink of an eye to turn "us" from civilised to feral... it would be an insult to animals to use that word... we do not deserve this place...
Having wandered in, I shall just wander back out...
We'll get through these tribulations. Stay optimistic for the future generations. Even in our darkest hours, hope remains. When systems turn people against each other, there always are those who refuse the narrative and choose to accept the light of G-d. My father would not have survived an episode in Baghdad if not for the help of some neighbors offering shelter. I can't loose faith in humanity and neither should you. This too shall pass.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 06:33:22 AM by 4stringer77 »
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2020, 10:54:48 PM »
Indeed.. Shabbat Shalom, my friend...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2020, 11:37:17 PM »
Any LBOers in the USA getting their books yet?

Mark told me he received his.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2020, 11:40:31 PM »
What's the story on the floppy-copy, Rob...?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2020, 01:28:02 AM »
what is a floppy-copy?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2020, 09:56:16 AM »
The books were sent as a regular letters without tracking code in order to keep the shipping cost reasonable (€9). If I had sent them with a tracking code the shipping cost would have been €29.
Today I spoke with PostNL (Dutch Postal Services) about the delays. And the lady on the phone told me that they have had huge problems with shipping overseas, because the regular daily flights were all cancelled.
At a certain point they even chose to send some mail via a container ship as an alternative.
Now the flights are slowly picking up again. But there are still huge amounts of mail waiting at the airport to be flown to the USA and Canada.

The delay can amount up to 60 days!
I was devastated when I heard her say that. It means that it may take another month for you (and so many others) to receive the book…

I wish I had better news to bring to you. But this all I can say.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2020, 10:00:29 AM »
The books were sent as a regular letters without tracking code in order to keep the shipping cost reasonable (€9). If I had sent them with a tracking code the shipping cost would have been €29.
Today I spoke with PostNL (Dutch Postal Services) about the delays. And the lady on the phone told me that they have had huge problems with shipping overseas, because the regular daily flights were all cancelled.
At a certain point they even chose to send some mail via a container ship as an alternative.
Now the flights are slowly picking up again. But there are still huge amounts of mail waiting at the airport to be flown to the USA and Canada.

The delay can amount up to 60 days!
I was devastated when I heard her say that. It means that it may take another month for you (and so many others) to receive the book…

I wish I had better news to bring to you. But this all I can say.

Don't worry about it, Rob.  It'll be worth the wait.