Author Topic: OLYMPIA OB-5CE6/SB  (Read 978 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
OLYMPIA OB-5CE6/SB
« on: May 08, 2020, 06:28:48 PM »
I hope this is the right forum to ask you guys this question. I just got an acoustic bass in today. I can't justify the cost of a Thunderchief, but this import little brother looked like it might work. As soon as it came in I threw some flats on it and it sounds great. But... While changing strings I noticed a slight ripple in the top on either side of the bridge. After looking closer, I can see and feel that these ripples follow the bracing inside. The whole thing feels solid and is holding the tune just fine, but I've never owned an acoustic bass, and none of my flat top acoustics have ever been uneven on the top, so I don't know if this is a problem or not.

The two photos with the black lines are my bass, trying to point out what I'm seeing/feeling. The other is the same model, but one the CME was or is selling (I got mine off someone else on Reverb). For any of you who may be familiar with these things, is this something I should worry about and possibly return, or is this normal/acceptable?   

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: OLYMPIA OB-5CE6/SB
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 09:31:03 PM »
I'm no expert but that's not normal. OTOH it might be acceptable, as long as it's good otherwise, depending on what you paid.

Wasn't Olympia a Korean import by Tacoma, or am I remembering wrong?

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 10:32:41 PM »
Wasn't Olympia a Korean import by Tacoma, or am I remembering wrong?

Yeah, it was their import line. This thing sounds really good, and records beautifully. I didn't get it for a steal, but I'd be OK with it as long as the top isn't going to cave in on me.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 04:43:12 AM »
I got a Michael Kelly 5 string fretless Dragonfly for a lot less than I should have done by buying 2nd hand; even then, was cheaper than some others; even had a fitted case with her... she has issues I need to resolve... the fancy inlay has the odd buzz here-and-there... will be making up a suitable block to resolve this... I'm using TI flats on her... sounds really nice... acoustic or through the Fishman...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 07:47:58 AM »
I'm not sure...but my feeling is that if there doesn't appear to be any tendency for the top to crack, it's probably OK.

If it sounds good and plays well, if the price was good I wouldn't reject it because of the ripples.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 12:10:52 PM »
I got it for $320 with shipping. I don't imagine that was a steal, but it was cheaper than anything else out there that looked decent (a couple import model Breedloves and another Olympia that had been defretted). I'm leaning toward keeping it, because I really like how it sounds and plays. I'll may run it by my local luthier and ask him to make sure the top is stable.