Author Topic: NAD - '69 Hiwatt DR103  (Read 2541 times)

D.M.N.

• View Profile
NAD - '69 Hiwatt DR103
« on: May 05, 2020, 03:28:54 PM »
So the UPS dropped this of late yesterday evening. I've been wanting an old Hiwatt since I started playing, though I've certainly been more than content with my small horde of Sunns. In the last 6 months I started to more seriously keep my eye out for one. Saw this one a few months back on eBay, and have been watching ever since. It was listed under Consumer Electronics instead of Musical Instruments, and the seller was unresponsive to my requests for more photos of the internals. It kept getting no bids and being relisted. No year listed, simply Custom Built Hiwatt. I set about doing my own research based on what I could see in the pictures, and despite the lack of a serial plate, was fairly convinced it was a '68 or '69 DR103, based upon the metal logo plate, and lack of Custom Hiwatt 100 text on the face plate. I could also make out what appeared to be the orange varnish of Partridge transformers, but I was still somewhat apprehensive of bidding without more photos. In the meantime, I missed out on a 1970 DR103 and cab locally, which was a real drag. So after months of watching with no bids on this listing, and jockeying around some other gear and money, I pulled the trigger.

After receiving the billing info, I discovered it was being sold by a Pawn Shop in PA, which might explain the lack of response or particular knowledge of what they had. Their loss is my gain though!

So as soon as it arrived I set about opening it up so do an inspection. Looking everything over, it appears it is an early 1969. Hiwatt 100w A.P. is written inside the chassis, which matches notes written inside other confirmed amps of that period. The pots date from the 47th and 50th week of 1968, and the transformers, consecutively numbered G8655 and G8656, match Partridge dating codes for 1968. So, either a very late '68 or early 1969. The only modifications I can identify thus far are the addition of a power outlet on the back (which resulted in some unwinding of the tidy braided wiring, oh well), an update of the screen grid resistors, and a three prong power lead. Even the capacitors appear original, with Dubilier's up top and a Radiospares unit under the chassis. So, despite the ad saying it was recently serviced by a tech, I'm likely going to take it in to have the caps updated when I get the chance, as it looks like at least two of the filter caps have some bulging occurring. I'll give it a quick test this evening after work, very excited! I knew it was a bit of a risk given the lack of info provided, but I'm very happy that it seems to have paid off, and under the typical going rate of a later 70s model on reverb and eBay!

Anyways, here's the part y'all actually came for, the pictures!

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
Re: NAD - '69 Hiwatt DR103
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 03:35:38 PM »
That's very nice!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 09:03:44 PM »
Nice score!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 02:27:31 AM »
Those two "gold" capacitors look a bit screwball... definitely change them all...
Pots dated '68...
Most interesting and the most potent reason for dating this beastie is the "chrome" nameplate, which appears to be mostly known as being late sixties and specifically 1969...
Stunning... I hope it was a "bargain"...
Only shame is the lack of a serial number plate...
Mine is one year younger...
I used to drive by his garage almost daily before I moved to Scotland...
Check out Mark Huss's website and contact him re photos... anything "unusual", and those gold caps are "unusual", will be of interest, especially with the signage...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 07:07:20 AM »
Cool amp, glad it all seems to have worked out for you!

And allow me to be the first to ask about that 8-string in the background?

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 09:29:44 AM »
Those two "gold" capacitors look a bit screwball... definitely change them all...
Pots dated '68...
Most interesting and the most potent reason for dating this beastie is the "chrome" nameplate, which appears to be mostly known as being late sixties and specifically 1969...
Stunning... I hope it was a "bargain"...
Only shame is the lack of a serial number plate...
Mine is one year younger...
I used to drive by his garage almost daily before I moved to Scotland...
Check out Mark Huss's website and contact him re photos... anything "unusual", and those gold caps are "unusual", will be of interest, especially with the signage...

Yes, it'll be going into the shop this week. Tested it last night, and it sounded great, though a bit quiet, quieter than my JTM 45/100 in fact, and after about 45 minutes had some sputtering and drops, so I shut her down and am calling up my local tech today. I won't say it was a complete bargain, but a fair price and cheaper than they go for on a lot of sales sites. The chrome logo was the first thing that stuck out to me when I saw it too.

I sent off an email to Mark yesterday! His site was a great resource while I was trying to determine specifics about this amp, and I've been considering purchasing a Hi-Tone for a few years. When I saw this for right around the price of a new HT100 though, I decided I might as well get the original.

Cool amp, glad it all seems to have worked out for you!

And allow me to be the first to ask about that 8-string in the background?

Ah, well spotted! That is a '78 BecVar Triple Omega I picked up last year, very similar to the BecVar JPJ used in Zeppelin. I don't have any recordings of it currently, but here is a video from who sold it to me. It was kept under the bed by its original owner, went to a friend of his when he passed away, sold to Trevor Lindsey who made the above video and sold it to me. Certainly excited to try that through the Hiwatt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQJN4nJNMZI&ab_channel=TrevorLindsey

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 12:38:03 PM »
Congratulations! That's a very nice amp. I also like the happy stocking capped figure drawn on the capacitor in the 5th picture.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 07:43:33 AM »
Ah, well spotted! That is a '78 BecVar Triple Omega I picked up last year, very similar to the BecVar JPJ used in Zeppelin. I don't have any recordings of it currently, but here is a video from who sold it to me. It was kept under the bed by its original owner, went to a friend of his when he passed away, sold to Trevor Lindsey who made the above video and sold it to me. Certainly excited to try that through the Hiwatt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQJN4nJNMZI&ab_channel=TrevorLindsey

I knew that headstock looked familiar. I stop by the Alembic Club every morning, and there was discussion about it. I think I recall seeing it for sale too. That WILL pair up nicely with the HIWATT!

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 12:07:31 PM »
That Hiwatt is seriously cool. That red ink looks like it was scrawled last week. A real time capsule amp I guess!

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 01:13:33 PM »
I knew that headstock looked familiar. I stop by the Alembic Club every morning, and there was discussion about it. I think I recall seeing it for sale too. That WILL pair up nicely with the HIWATT!

D'you happen to have a link to the club so I could read the discussion? I'd be interested if anyone has any more information on it!

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 01:33:41 AM »
Great score! Would love to own one..

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 02:41:51 PM »
I recently sold my Hiwatt bass head from that era. Actually, I suspect it was built a little before yours, but no big deal.  The tone was SO beautiful.

You are a lucky guy!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 07:18:49 AM »
D'you happen to have a link to the club so I could read the discussion? I'd be interested if anyone has any more information on it!

Let me know if this works.

http://club.alembic.com/

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 02:22:40 PM »
I recently sold my Hiwatt bass head from that era. Actually, I suspect it was built a little before yours, but no big deal.  The tone was SO beautiful.

You are a lucky guy!

Yes, that is a very early one! One of the Sound City SC105s relabelled as Hiwatt, which was typical of the early ones he modified for the Who under the Hiwatt brand name. Wish I'd seen that one for sale, I'd have tried to snap it up too! Very happy to have this piece of early Hiwatt history.

Let me know if this works.

http://club.alembic.com/

Yes it does, thank you!

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2020, 05:17:34 PM »
D.M.N. - I sent you a message with some background info on this.