Author Topic: Guitar mod with TBX pots  (Read 687 times)

Big_Stu

• View Profile
Guitar mod with TBX pots
« on: May 04, 2020, 08:29:51 AM »
I was recently given a Strat copy at a charity gig. I've never owned a Strat before so this gives me chance to try out some pickups I was given 20+ years ago by UK luthier John Birch. They were experimental and as far as I know never went into production; he called them "Full Range". I plan on keeping the Strat wiring options as standard but to maybe try to take the pickup name at face value I'm planning on switching out both of the tone pots to Fender TBX pots, since I already had two of those in my bits box too. Does anyone know of any reasons for or against the idea; I know that Fender put one TBX and one normal tone pot into the mid-90s "Contemporary Strat" but I don't know if there was a sound reason for that.

I haven't measured the pickups but I believe they were low imp intended for a MIDI application, so making the guitar "active" might be a future option if the sound ends up disappointing.

This job is just something to keep myself busy with during Corona lockdown, so no great shakes if it doesn't work. I've already discovered that I'm good with a Dremel by making the pot area cavity bigger with a seamless join to take in the much bigger lower TBX.  :mrgreen:

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Guitar mod with TBX pots
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 09:36:08 AM »

I haven't measured the pickups but I believe they were low imp intended for a MIDI application, so making the guitar "active" might be a future option if the sound ends up disappointing.

A tiny transformer (from a DI box or something) might do the trick if impedance is very low and installing an active preamp is too much hassle :)