Author Topic: The undending litigations continue...Heritage sues Gibson over trademark threats  (Read 938 times)

ajkula66

• View Profile
And here we go again...

https://guitar.com/news/gibson-sued-by-heritage/

with Gibson's official response here:

https://guitar.com/news/gibson-issues-formal-response-to-heritage-lawsuit/

I was really hoping that the vulture capitalists running Gibson nowadays have backed off but was obviously wrong... :rolleyes:
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
What a sorry bunch of losers.

Rob

• View Profile
What a sorry bunch of losers.

Amen to that!  Gibson has always tried to stifle competition via the courts.  The inventors o the Multichord ( a steel guitar) won their suit in the 40's or 50's which endured them in Leo Fenders eyes.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Gibson threatening legal action? Oh, what a surprise!

It's hard to know what's going on without seeing the agreement, but my guess is that Gibson is using the sale of Heritage by the original owners to Bandlab last year as an excuse to bully them out of the agreement. Under Bandlab, they have really expanded production and their dealer network which now includes Sweetwater.

BTW, last month Gibson sent a cease and desist letter to Kiesel (formerly Carvin) over Kiesel's Ultra V and California single cutaway, both of which are clearly different from a Flying V or Les Paul. The Ultra V was in production years before Gibson got their Flying V trademark anyway. Jeff Kiesel says he'll fight if Gibson sues.

I also read somewhere that Gibson's program to license a few small builders to copy Gibson designs has collapsed.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
The article from Gibson says that Gibson has not sued Heritage, which is something that's a yes/no question.

However, Gibson could allege that Heritage has broken the agreement, which (I guess) would not require a suit. So it seems they could apply pressure without adding a new lawsuit.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The article from Gibson says that Gibson has not sued Heritage, which is something that's a yes/no question.

However, Gibson could allege that Heritage has broken the agreement, which (I guess) would not require a suit. So it seems they could apply pressure without adding a new lawsuit.

If a company alleges that an agreement has been broken, a suit would definitely be required if pressure doesn't work. What Bandlab has done here is preempt Gibson by filing its own suit before Gibson even sends a cease-and-desist demand. Bandlab has the money to sustain a fight.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
From Gibson's response:

“Recently, Heritage launched some new guitars that clearly did not respect, nor adhere to, the original contract. In fact, several customers had inquired if they were actually Gibson Guitars. Heritage Guitars also took the liberty of using language on their website that was misleading and misrepresenting, which added to the confusion.

This is bullshit. Heritage hasn't introduced any new models, they have actually reduced the number of models to 6. The headstocks and logo are the same as they have been since the company was started. There's no language on the website that's misleading. See for yourselves.

doombass

• View Profile
I'd say it's a case of Gibson reading through Heritage's website "like the devil reads the bible". How many morons have actually contacted Gibson confused over if Heritage guitars are authentic Gibsons? I guess none.

ajkula66

• View Profile
There's no language on the website that's misleading. See for yourselves.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that it's the fact of Orville Gibson being mentioned on Heritage's website that got KKR's knickers in a twist...
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

doombass

• View Profile
Yes, and Gibson tries their best to deny history.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
If I were a betting man, I'd say that it's the fact of Orville Gibson being mentioned on Heritage's website that got KKR's knickers in a twist...

You may be right. Yet it's just a factual statement in a paragraph that makes it clear those guitars were built there until 1984, on a page that makes it clear that Heritage was started in 1985, on a website you'd never go to if you were looking for a Gibson.

Rob is right. Sorry bunch of losers.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
If anyone muddied the waters, it's Gibson themselves when they announced letting small builders make copies of their iconic designs.  :rolleyes: