Author Topic: SB-300 neck reset  (Read 817 times)

amptech

• View Profile
SB-300 neck reset
« on: February 24, 2020, 12:38:47 AM »
Hi, guys!
I recently decided that I'd give a neck reset to the SB-300 I got from Scott last year. It has negative neck pitch, and too high action with the bridge at it's lowest setting.
I have about 10+ Gibson neck resets behind me now, and have become comfortable with doing it, though most of them have been
60's EB-0/3's and SG guitars (fairly easy to reset).

Then I saw this on Instagram:

The post read something like: 'sounds awesome and played nice when I got it, but the action could be a bit better'.

I normally don't comment things I don't like (well, only here :)) but this was posted by a guitar manufacturer i Philadelphia, so
commented it, asking why the neck was not reset. Now I cant find the post on insta. The instrument pictured have pretty poor finish
too, so that can't be the reason for avoiding a neck reset.

Anyway, am I missing something? Are these early 70's Gibson neck joints difficult to deal with?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: SB-300 neck reset
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 12:41:21 PM »
I'm no expert, but I've never heard of anything unusual about them that would complicate a neck reset.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 06:45:01 AM »
    There really isn't much to it. Routed channel in the body,  tongue or tenon on the neck. Tolerances are not all that tight. Getting it apart is the more difficult part. Just take care when resetting that your angle is good and alignment is true.
    Glad to see the bass is in good hands. 0 :)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 11:16:18 PM »
    There really isn't much to it. Routed channel in the body,  tongue or tenon on the neck. Tolerances are not all that tight. Getting it apart is the more difficult part. Just take care when resetting that your angle is good and alignment is true.
    Glad to see the bass is in good hands. 0 :)

Thanks, Scott - I like it very much. I'll be refretting it and resetting the neck this summer.  Hopefully it will rock on for a few more decades :)