Author Topic: pickup help please  (Read 1415 times)

wellREDman

• View Profile
pickup help please
« on: December 05, 2019, 01:28:17 PM »
I'd like some advice please, I've never been inside a pickup before

I have a chinabucker that has ceased giving an output, looking at the back its quite obviously the loose wire at the top, but when I compare it to a fresh out of the bag one it appears slightly different

on the new one the two wires disappear into the two  holes , on the broken one where the loose wire looks like it should go into, the hole is obscured by  flat metal that resists all poking and prodding

is there a part that could  have come loose and sheared the wire and got lodged over the hole?

it looks like the cover is just held on by 4 bits of solder, can I melt/suck the solder off and remove the cover, and if so will I be able to access the contact that the broken wire needs reconnecting to?

Broken chinabucker                                                   

new chinabucker

amptech

• View Profile
Re: pickup help please
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 11:25:51 PM »
I'd like some advice please, I've never been inside a pickup before

I have a chinabucker that has ceased giving an output, looking at the back its quite obviously the loose wire at the top, but when I compare it to a fresh out of the bag one it appears slightly different

on the new one the two wires disappear into the two  holes , on the broken one where the loose wire looks like it should go into, the hole is obscured by  flat metal that resists all poking and prodding

is there a part that could  have come loose and sheared the wire and got lodged over the hole?

it looks like the cover is just held on by 4 bits of solder, can I melt/suck the solder off and remove the cover, and if so will I be able to access the contact that the broken wire needs reconnecting to?

Yes, if the hot from one of the coils have loosened you will have to unsolder the baseplate. On most EY pickups this is fairly easy, but it takes some heat. Just be as quick as you can and use a large enough Iron. On some pickups pre-heating the metal will ease the iron/sucker work, but yours seem to have only two rather small blobs.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 07:00:48 AM »
Also add some new solder to the old blobs, that always help to melt them faster.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 07:44:54 AM »
my first pickup surgery was successful
Thanks guys

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 12:27:25 AM »
my first pickup surgery was successful
Thanks guys

That's great!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 08:40:52 AM »
Nicely done!

I replaced the Dean soapbars in my Psycho Cabbie with blacktop Filtertrons, and they sound good but the tone control now does nothing at all.  I need to change the controls and impedances if I want any tone variation. So far it hasn't seemed that important.

Hope yours works well with no glitches.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 08:48:52 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."