Author Topic: Ginger Baker critically ill  (Read 8754 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Ginger Baker critically ill
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2019, 04:57:46 AM »
I hope he gets the drum part on Sunshine of Your Love right this time!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2019, 11:46:03 PM »
Very good of Eric, and it benefits a charity.

Yes, I agree it just seems like a straightforward effort on the part of Eric to honor Ginger's memory.  That fact that it helps charity is good, too.  He is just trying to help out.  I have a friend who reads about everything that's out there about Eric, Ginger and Jack. He said the main reason that 2005 reunion occurred was simply because Eric realized Jack needed the money.  Now all that's left, of course, is for him to pay tribute to Jack and Ginger. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2019, 08:46:51 AM »
I don't get the impression that Clapton is very money-driven. He left Cream at their commercial peak for an uncertain future as a solo singer/songwriter artist - commercially that was a suicide plan, he wasn't regarded as much of a singer in his Cream days (he isn't to this day!  ;D ). And he only did the Cream reunions because the other two were broke, his solo tours were and are consistent sell-outs. Bruce's and Baker's solo careers post cream were erratic at best, not counting in their bad health issues.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 11:39:15 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2019, 09:37:51 AM »
I'm paraphrasing him, but my friend yesterday had some observations about Jack.  He said it was hard for him to find his footing after Cream.  His jazz was over the head of most rock fans, but it didn't quite fit into the Miles Davis crowd, either.  Jack experienced frustration for various reasons.  His supporters which continued to follow him were  mostly hardcore Cream fans.  Where my friend and I differ most is he likes the "Things We Like" album and I can't even listen to it.  He dislikes the Silver Rails album and I continue to like it more each time I listen to it. 

My friend also has a lot of insight into Ginger that I just don't have.  I loved his drumming, but it's doubtful I could have ever been on much of a first name basis. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2019, 11:50:04 AM »
Both Ginger and Jack were esoteric and eclectic in their musical careers - in most cases a choice dooming you to non-commerciality. Eric, OTOH, is arch-middle of the road and has stuck to his guns ever since he left Cream: He does bluesy songwriter-rock-pop for an audience that likes its music more pleasant than groundbreaking. That is why you never heard an Axis Bold As Love or a Blow By Blow/Wired from him. That is not knocking him, I think his music is sincere, just not raw or Gung-ho. It's not in him.

Eric is the only one of the three whose post-Cream-split career has totally eclipsed what he did before: Sure, he used his Cream fame and guitarslinger reputation initially to gain a new audience, but at his concerts today (and for the last 45 years or so) there is a vast amount of people who come to hear Layla, Wonderful Tonight and - in more recent times - Tears in Heaven as opposed to a 20 minute version of, say, White Room. He uses his Cream legacy like some faded old photographs you show to the bemused guests at an anniversary birthday party: "Oh, and yes, I also did this at one point ...". That is again not knocking him, the man has progressed, not in the sense of doing something more ambitious or complicated, but in the sense of doing something completely different (and perhaps less musically demanding and groundbreaking). I believe the people that continue to revere him only for his Cream accomplishments (at the expense of most everything later) largely populate dinosaur forums like ours!  :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 12:55:43 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2019, 10:08:10 PM »
Whether it's because of his Cream days or the later stuff, Eric still draws crowds. His critics want him to be something he's not, but they're not the ones buying tickets. He's not innovative any more. So what? He's doing what he wants.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2019, 01:22:34 AM »
That's right.  People should do whatever they want as long as it doesn't infringe on someone else's rights.  I'm certain Clapton is pleased he didn't take advice from me or someone like me.  Because I disliked all his hit songs as a solo artist, even his cover versions.  If he had asked me, I would have told him there were better songs he could do.  But I certainly liked Cream and Blind Faith and have spent plenty of money buying CDs of those bands.  There is a new Cream 4-CD set coming out soon and, of course, I want to get that, too.  It won't be released until February, though. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/cream-goodbye-tour-live-1968-box-set-919780/

--Blaise Pascal

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2019, 03:07:22 PM »
That's right.  People should do whatever they want as long as it doesn't infringe on someone else's rights.  I'm certain Clapton is pleased he didn't take advice from me or someone like me.  Because I disliked all his hit songs as a solo artist, even his cover versions.  If he had asked me, I would have told him there were better songs he could do.

I can relate to that. I would never bash him because I respect him as the musician he is. It's just that most of his music I've heard after Cream and Blind Faith has been too slick to suit my taste.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2019, 04:01:47 PM »
Whether it's because of his Cream days or the later stuff, Eric still draws crowds. His critics want him to be something he's not, but they're not the ones buying tickets. He's not innovative any more. So what? He's doing what he wants.

I have trouble seeing why people would criticize a musician for playing what he/she likes, especially when they're commercially successful.  There are plenty of musicians whose music I don't like, but I simply don't listen to them. That's OK, they're not playing for me anyway.

I'm very fond of Clapton's versions of "Nobody Loves You When You're Down and Out" and "San Francisco Bay Blues." I love playing them, too. He didn't write them, but they're great tunes.

Incidentally, here's an original of the former, tune by Scrapper Blackwell:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 04:27:05 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2019, 06:13:26 PM »
I don't care for much of what he's done post-Cream. Then again, I can say the same thing about Jack and Ginger. No probelem. What they had in Cream is more than enough for me. What's hard to believe is how long ago that was.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2019, 09:19:57 PM »
It has nothing to do with anyone here.  But I'd advise not getting into any discussion with anyone who thinks that everything Clapton did before, during and after Cream was perfect.  To some people the "Clapton is God" slogan is evidently serious business.  Honestly, I was unaware of that.  Some things you have to learn the hard way. 

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2019, 10:09:51 PM »
It has nothing to do with anyone here.  But I'd advise not getting into any discussion with anyone who thinks that everything Clapton did before, during and after Cream was perfect.  To some people the "Clapton is God" slogan is evidently serious business.  Honestly, I was unaware of that.  Some things you have to learn the hard way.

Aside from that fact that I usually don't engage in such discussions, I don't care whether someone feels that way. And I'm pretty sure that none of the regulars on this forum would be very concerned about it either.

Perhaps the best suggestion would be that they go tan their perineum.  While they're looking it up, you can exit the conversation and leave.   ;) ;)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2019, 12:25:00 AM »
Aside from that fact that I usually don't engage in such discussions, I don't care whether someone feels that way. And I'm pretty sure that none of the regulars on this forum would be very concerned about it either.

Perhaps the best suggestion would be that they go tan their perineum.  While they're looking it up, you can exit the conversation and leave.   ;) ;)

I think you have a valid point. Except maybe not for the perineum part.  If this kind of thing keeps up, some people I fear are going to end up with the perineum tanning blues.  . 

--Blaise Pascal

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2019, 06:23:38 AM »

This is one of your best!!!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2019, 11:09:45 AM »
Perineum Tan would be such a great band name.