Author Topic: Science 1, Gwyneth 0  (Read 2556 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Science 1, Gwyneth 0
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 10:17:38 AM »
I'm sure she knows way more than I do.  Before I saw Captain Marvel this year the last Marvel movie I had seen was Spider-Man 3 in 2007. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 10:56:06 AM »
I've seen all but about four of the Marvel movies and I can't recall which characters are featured in respective movie. It's all kind of blurry.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 11:35:14 PM »
I've never seen any superhero movies, unless you count Robin Williams as Popeye.  ;)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 12:03:32 PM »
I've never seen any superhero movies, unless you count Robin Williams as Popeye.  ;)

As sophisticated and extravagant as they can sometimes be, to me the superhero genre is still best-suited for the comics.  As a kid, I was very interested.  Now adult audiences are targeted by movies.  But as a sci-fi fan, I'd like to see more non-superhero movies.  In other words, not seeing superhero movies may be a good thing.  I suspect Gwyneth Paltrow might agree.  I remember reading in a sci-fi article somewhere that she did those Marvel movies as a favor to a friend and thinks she is too old for movies like that.  If I had a choice between the next superhero movie and a Popeye sequel, I'd probably choose Popeye.  Unless it was one of the newer ones with a female superhero.  That idea does seem like it might have some potential. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 02:46:37 PM »
Science trumps Gwyneth again.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 07:09:47 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 08:14:14 AM »
Harvey Weinstein's lawyers have plenty of material to work with to discredit her character as a witness it would seem.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 08:28:27 AM »
It looks like Gwyenth has a new role as a member of a rich dysfunctional family in what may be a self-parody. 

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/gwyneth-paltrow-the-politician-character-goop-parody

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2019, 09:21:35 PM »
Hopefully Gwyneth won't be demonstrating any of her quack health tips on-screen.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2019, 01:48:28 AM »
I think the article mentioned they were having to shoot the show around her Goop schedule.  It's 2019 and this is what the world has come to. 

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2019, 03:43:22 AM »
Harvey Weinstein's lawyers have plenty of material to work with to discredit her character as a witness it would seem.

I briefly glimpsed something in the news about that, but the details eluded me.  If you google Weinstein and Paltrow, you just get the story about Brad Pitt threatening to kill Harvey Weinstein after he made a pass when she was Pitt's girlfriend. 

BTW, if this place doesn't make it as a bass forum, I think there may be some potential as a gossip site, or at least a consumer advocacy place against pseudoscience. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2019, 07:29:58 AM »
Science trumps Gwyneth again.

More like a tie, Dave! My chemistry knowledge is poor, but the assertion that lemon juice (because it is acidic) nixes all the (supposed) benefits of alkaline water is not very scientific either. It's all a little more complicated than that: A food that is pre-digestion acidic may still lead to alkaline results in the body in and after the process of digestion/metabolization.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/lemon-juice-acidic-or-alkaline

Now I'm not advocating alkaline diets - the only pH values I give a flying swimming f*** about are the ones in the water of my garden pond because of the effects a too low or too high pH value can have on my beloved sturgeons, tench, catfish, carp, Koi, goldfish, bass (the fish kind) and golden orfe (plus a dozen other species - I like variety in my pond, Koi fish ghettos bore me to tears). But since this forum of fora is devoted to the scientific truth, Dave's old flame should only be knocked for the really silly stuff she does. Lemon juice + alkaline water is not as bad as steamed jade eggs. (If you only drink it that is! No other usages recommended here or - I believe - at GOOP.)

So mix your alkaline water with lemon all you want, it will be as (in)effective on your health as pure alkaline water. It will affect how alkaline your pee might be and is at the same time pretty much irrelevant for the pH value of your blood, but that is another matter.

PS:

Personally speaking, we like our pH neutral or a little on
the alkaline side!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 08:13:51 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2019, 08:44:59 AM »
^^^

Healthline is a reliable source for quackery. Gwyneth would be right at home there.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2019, 08:48:42 AM »
I briefly glimpsed something in the news about that, but the details eluded me.  If you google Weinstein and Paltrow, you just get the story about Brad Pitt threatening to kill Harvey Weinstein after he made a pass when she was Pitt's girlfriend. 

BTW, if this place doesn't make it as a bass forum, I think there may be some potential as a gossip site, or at least a consumer advocacy place against pseudoscience.

I found the story: Gwyneth Paltrow Derided By Harvey Weinstein As Her Pivotal Role In Producer’s Downfall Revealed In New Book

It sounds to me like Weinstein's team is saying that Gwyneth knew exactly what she was doing, and wanted to do it.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2019, 01:13:10 PM »
I found the story: Gwyneth Paltrow Derided By Harvey Weinstein As Her Pivotal Role In Producer’s Downfall Revealed In New Book

It sounds to me like Weinstein's team is saying that Gwyneth knew exactly what she was doing, and wanted to do it.

It looks like that discusses the situation thoroughly. 

--Blaise Pascal