Author Topic: It takes a special kind of stupid...  (Read 15194 times)

doombass

• View Profile
Re: It takes a special kind of stupid...
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2019, 12:02:56 PM »
It's interesting that all of these articles and opinion pieces can be tied back to the same two or three bits of primary source information.

I guess that's what the Youtubers do. They never do any work themselves, but rather use an article to comment on. In this case there are  articles about the lawsuits themselves so those articles are pretty much the same and then come the Youtubers.

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2019, 12:52:41 PM »
I guess that's what the Youtubers do. They never do any work themselves, but rather use an article to comment on.

If most of them were actually capable of performing any meaningful work they wouldn't attempting to make a living posting rants on YT. Yeah I know I sound like a grouchy old man, but this is one of the things in the current society that bugs the living daylight out of me.
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2019, 08:39:49 PM »
If most of them were actually capable of performing any meaningful work they wouldn't attempting to make a living posting rants on YT. Yeah I know I sound like a grouchy old man, but this is one of the things in the current society that bugs the living daylight out of me.

It's not just about Gibson or musical instruments. Seems like as much as half of YT is now commentary. Sure, plenty of them don't know what they're talking about, but that was true of people long before the internet existed.

I'd rather have it this way. YT gives more people the opportunity to be heard.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2019, 09:39:46 PM »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2019, 09:53:17 PM »
There are only two channels that I go to in which the You Tubers are full-time.  One is a woman somewhere in New York state.  She is a caregiver for her husband who had a serious accident.  I go because she offers very useful, practical advice--like how to honor the wishes of people around you who are innocent and cheerful at Christmas while you are basically more like Scrooge.  The other channel is run by a guy who quit his regular job to make a sci-fi channel.  This may have been a mistake for him, but the channel is great for sci-fi fans. 

This video is not from either of those two people.  It's just something I randomly stumbled across a few days ago.  This You Tuber gives an insider's view.  Obviously, she is making some money at it.  But says that most people on YT aren't doing it full-time and she doesn't recommend that someone even try to do it full-time. 

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:41:25 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2019, 01:51:58 PM »
I'll just put this here because it's so authentic on more than one level.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2019, 02:43:13 PM »
Sorry, as soon as I heard Trogly's voice, I stopped.  Even if he has something good to say, I can't stand the sound of his voice, and he beats every subject to death.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2019, 05:35:42 PM »
I'll just put this here because it's so authentic on more than one level.

Just by looking at that video, to me this appears to be something the Hendrix estate itself was involved in more than Gibson itself.  They target people who tend to be avid collectors, although sometimes there are musicians, too.  The well started running dry quite some time ago with the previously unreleased recordings.  But for a while there some of those were pretty good.  By the way, I love the way part of the video ended up having to be muted because of a copyright claim.  LOL. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 10:40:49 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2019, 09:56:59 PM »
https://www.musicradar.com/news/summer-namm-2019-gibson-reveals-collaborations-with-boutique-guitar-builders-as-it-launches-authorized-partnership-program

I'm not surprised that they have intimidated a few boutique builders into some kind of a deal.

"...it’s more acknowledgment that these are some shapes that we’ve created.” There's no doubt that Gibson was first to create some of its shapes. There's much more to trademark than that, but I won't get into that here. “And then that centre point are some brands that just knowingly sort of take advantage of the shapes that you’ve created, and because they’ve been using them for a long time they think they’re theirs.” No, Dean and companies like them don't think they created shapes that you did; they do understand what's protectable and what's not, and if they don't cave, I believe they'll win over Gibson.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2019, 01:30:16 AM »
I'm not surprised that they have intimidated a few boutique builders into some kind of a deal.

"...it’s more acknowledgment that these are some shapes that we’ve created.” There's no doubt that Gibson was first to create some of its shapes. There's much more to trademark than that, but I won't get into that here. “And then that centre point are some brands that just knowingly sort of take advantage of the shapes that you’ve created, and because they’ve been using them for a long time they think they’re theirs.” No, Dean and companies like them don't think they created shapes that you did; they do understand what's protectable and what's not, and if they don't cave, I believe they'll win over Gibson.

It has reached the point that I'm not surprised at much of anything anymore.  I've liked Gibson even since I was a teenager.  I still like them.  But in this particular case I look at Dean as the underdog and hope they come out ahead.  Whatever the financial aspects of this turn out to be, there have been plenty of Gibson critics vocal and vehement through the years.  Many times Gibson's critics have got on my nerves big time.  But I think in this case it's Gibson itself that's making its public image look awful. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 12:19:28 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2019, 09:42:38 PM »
No matter what JC says, Gibson's public image has taken a major hit. Considering the goodwill they had after bringing the company out of Chapter 11, it was a colossal blunder, and I don't see it getting better.

It hasn't changed my love for Gibsons, though, and there are plenty of used Gibsons out there.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2019, 10:45:29 PM »
No matter what JC says, Gibson's public image has taken a major hit. Considering the goodwill they had after bringing the company out of Chapter 11, it was a colossal blunder, and I don't see it getting better.

It hasn't changed my love for Gibsons, though, and there are plenty of used Gibsons out there.

Gibson has always had a unique flair.  Many examples could be used.  But Jack Bruce coming out on stage in 2005 with his EB-1 was quite a thrill to me.  Probably no other bass would have had quite the same effect on me.  It was even better than coming out on stage with an EB-3 again, although that would have worked, too.  But that's why it bothers me that a brand I've always liked would purposely get itself in such a situation as this one.  It certainly won't affect me personally, though.  If I see a Gibson I want, I'll buy it--new or used. 

--Blaise Pascal

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2019, 02:29:45 AM »
No matter what JC says, Gibson's public image has taken a major hit.

Yes. For example I don't think the lawsuit would have gained near that much attention if it was'nt for the Play Authentic video coming out prior to that. What annoys me most about that video is it comes out as if they are patting the palm on top of consumers heads. They would'nt have had any problem in using the term Play Authentic as a marketing slogan though. Gibson has always had their fanbase who will say the only LP-, Explorer- or V-shape to play is Gibson. The video OTOH seemed directed to the whole world as a universal truth. Free thinking musicians don't need anyone telling them they don't play authentic guitars unless shape and brand name match accordingy. I'm not sure JC has realised the magnitude of the bad PR they've created.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2019, 01:54:16 PM »
Yes. For example I don't think the lawsuit would have gained near that much attention if it was'nt for the Play Authentic video coming out prior to that. What annoys me most about that video is it comes out as if they are patting the palm on top of consumers heads. They would'nt have had any problem in using the term Play Authentic as a marketing slogan though. Gibson has always had their fanbase who will say the only LP-, Explorer- or V-shape to play is Gibson. The video OTOH seemed directed to the whole world as a universal truth. Free thinking musicians don't need anyone telling them they don't play authentic guitars unless shape and brand name match accordingy. I'm not sure JC has realised the magnitude of the bad PR they've created.

I agree. He doesn't understand it. He says that lessons have been learned but I doubt it, especially not with the latest news about Gibson trying to intimidate Dean retailers.

It will probably be a while before we know the full effect of the backlash.