Author Topic: NBD Gibson SB-300  (Read 2471 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: NBD Gibson SB-300
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 10:32:22 AM »
The SG body shape has always been "love it or hate it." Not sure why. Works for me, that's all I care about.

I like the look and the ergonomics, especially in short scale.  The one SG-body bass I owned with a long scale neck had severe neck dive and I sold it almost immediately.  OTOH, my '64 EB-0 short scale is one of the most comfortable basses I play.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 11:00:35 AM »
I like the look and the ergonomics, especially in short scale.  The one SG-body bass I owned with a long scale neck had severe neck dive and I sold it almost immediately.  OTOH, my '64 EB-0 short scale is one of the most comfortable basses I play.

The '64 EB-0 I have is also one of the most comfortable basses I've ever played.  Besides that, it's relatively light.  But it's the deep sound that I like the most.  As indicated here, that fell out of favor by the end of the 60s.  But it's a trend I never necessarily went along with.  I also like the sound of basses such as the Yamaha BB-3000.  That may not be trendy, but I like it anyway. 

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB0.php

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 01:13:14 PM »
The '64 EB-0 I have is also one of the most comfortable basses I've ever played.  Besides that, it's relatively light.  But it's the deep sound that I like the most.  As indicated here, that fell out of favor by the end of the 60s.  But it's a trend I never necessarily went along with.  I also like the sound of basses such as the Yamaha BB-3000.  That may not be trendy, but I like it anyway. 

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB0.php

With two pickups, I should use mine more than I do. The Dimarzio Model 1 is more civilized than the mudbucker, so it can actually fit into plenty of music.

And as always, I should note that I wasn't the Philistine who routed that bass for a second pickup - I got it that way.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2019, 02:41:08 PM »
Philistine or no, I bet that mid pickup sounds great!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2019, 06:35:10 PM »
My EB-0L did neck-dive. The rest, including SG guitars, have not.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2019, 06:52:42 PM »
Philistine or no, I bet that mid pickup sounds great!

That bass does indeed have a voice.  There's no tone control, just separate volume knobs for each pickup.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2019, 08:04:05 PM »
With two pickups, I should use mine more than I do. The Dimarzio Model 1 is more civilized than the mudbucker, so it can actually fit into plenty of music.

And as always, I should note that I wasn't the Philistine who routed that bass for a second pickup - I got it that way.

Yes, I understand that some people used to put in a second pickup like that, although not anymore.  I just looked at that pic of yours.  It looks in pretty good shape.  Mine has quite a bit more wear. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:18:41 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2019, 06:01:23 AM »
  I am glad the bass arrived safely,  I was beginning to wonder.  When I inspected  and set up the bass it I did notice a small chip in the saddle but the string was seated in the notch, I put the cover on and forgot about it and neglected mention it in the  description. I am sorry about that.  I hope other than that the bass has lived up to your expectations.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2019, 11:24:14 AM »
  I am glad the bass arrived safely,  I was beginning to wonder.  When I inspected  and set up the bass it I did notice a small chip in the saddle but the string was seated in the notch, I put the cover on and forgot about it and neglected mention it in the  description. I am sorry about that.  I hope other than that the bass has lived up to your expectations.

No worries, Scott - I just love it. It worked perfect after just a few minutes of tinkering- can´t say that about any other instrument I have had shipped from the US. And customs here in Norway never really responded to my CITES/rosewood import questions, it was just delivered to my door. Both of my tube rigs take it well, it rocks and I´m super happy!
My wife was away when it arrived too, how about that :)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2019, 05:10:29 PM »
My wife was away when it arrived too, how about that :)

New bass? What new bass? I've had that one for years, honey!  ;)