Author Topic: Five Vintage Bass Amps Used By Guitarists Now  (Read 2034 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Five Vintage Bass Amps Used By Guitarists Now
« on: April 18, 2019, 09:51:06 AM »
I never thought when I used to play my late 60s Fender Bassman that it would eventually become a guitarist's amp.  I never had an Ampeg V-4B but I got to play through one on some demo songs once.  I don't know what year it was.  It belonged to the studio engineer.  I loved the tone for bass, though.  I wish I could have taken it home with me. 

https://reverb.com/news/5-vintage-bass-amps-used-and-loved-by-guitarists
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 11:09:08 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Five Vintage Bass Amps Used By Guitarists Now
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 03:59:30 PM »
I was never a fan, but I think I've read that Stevie Ray Vaughan played Marshall and Fender Bassman amps in the studio.  I have nothing against SRV, BTW, but it always bothers me when someone comes along and starts saying he was better than Hendrix. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 04:47:46 PM »
I still have my '67 blackface Bassman. It would serve quite well for most of the gigs I play.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 04:58:01 PM »
There was a guitarist who kept wanting to buy mine.  I should have sold it to him.  He really wanted it and I'm sure he would have given me a fair price.

--Blaise Pascal

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 06:30:01 PM »
When I was at the school we had a couple of bass amps but only one guitar amp so by necessity I had to put the rhythm guitar (often me) through an OLD H&H 200W Bass combo, TBH I really quite liked how it sounded.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 06:54:55 PM »
My very first bass amp was a bright orange Roland Cube 60, with a 12" speaker, circa 1980.
A very clean and simple amp - just volume and 3-band EQ, no dirt at all. Not much power to it obviously.
When I got a bigger amp I sold it to a jazz guitarist, it was pretty well suited to that job apparently.

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 06:07:29 AM »
I have been using a Cube 100 lately.

It sounds good with bass, guitar, and steel guitar.

A lot lighter than the Ampeg B 100R