Author Topic: New Doublecut Junior Tribute Bass update  (Read 26111 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New Doublecut Junior Tribute Bass update
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2019, 06:12:14 PM »
Nice, Dave.  I passed that Instagram link on to that TalkBass thread.

Thanks, Ken.

Amazes me that some people there think any Gibson pickup must be a mudbucker, even after hearing a sound clip.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2019, 06:52:05 PM »
Thanks, Ken.

Amazes me that some people there think any Gibson pickup must be a mudbucker, even after hearing a sound clip.
Preconceptions can be blinding I guess, or deafening in this case.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2019, 01:58:42 PM »
Preconceptions can be blinding I guess, or deafening in this case.

True. And even when there's no preconception, some people can't identify what they're hearing. Years ago, before forum software became popular, I remember reading a negative review of a Thunderbird where the reviewer complained that it was all treble and sounded just like Jack Bruce's trebly tone on his EB-3.  ???

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2019, 03:21:48 PM »

Not totally surprising when you consider how many people "hear" a Les Paul on Zep records when most of the time it's Jimmy Page's Tele.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2019, 03:23:01 PM »
True. And even when there's no preconception, some people can't identify what they're hearing. Years ago, before forum software became popular, I remember reading a negative review of a Thunderbird where the reviewer complained that it was all treble and sounded just like Jack Bruce's trebly tone on his EB-3.  ???

I hope somebody called the reviewer out on his cluelessness. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2019, 03:46:15 PM »
Not totally surprising when you consider how many people "hear" a Les Paul on Zep records when most of the time it's Jimmy Page's Tele.
wow I cant believe I got to this point and did not know that.
 I dont think I ever remember seeing him with anything but an LP, is that the mandela effect or did he just use the LP live and tele in the studio?

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2019, 04:34:33 PM »
wow I cant believe I got to this point and did not know that.
 I dont think I ever remember seeing him with anything but an LP, is that the mandela effect or did he just use the LP live and tele in the studio?
He didn't play the Tele much live but it was used extensively in the studio. The solo in Stairway to Heaven is the Tele - almost everyone I know sees a Gibson in their mind when they listen to it! - All of My Love, Good Times Bad Times, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Dazed and Confused, Your Time is Gonna Come, Communication Breakdown, I Can't Quit You Baby, How Many More Times... all Tele.

Generally speaking, all Zep albums except for II and III are mostly Tele - the rosewood board one with the dragon paint job. He also used it with The Firm.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 04:49:39 PM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2019, 01:08:04 AM »
Funny.

My colleagues of the guitar magazine have two new LPs to review. I asked Gibson Europe for the bass and they keep me posted. It isn't here yet.

I also got an insider at Gibson Europe. His marketing boss said that basses aren't really important for them, so any publicity is not really important.
It is honest...

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2019, 06:33:28 AM »
Here's a nice little demo video from a guy in the TalkBass thread.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2019, 06:19:13 PM »
Here's a nice little demo video from a guy in the TalkBass thread.

Sounds good, and no slapfest!

There's a point where he says that he's felt that other short scale basses are lacking in low end. That's another case of people mis-describing what they're hearing. If a short scale is lacking low end, it's not due to the scale length. They don't have the full upper harmonics of a long scale and that makes the sound seem less full -- but not lacking in bottom.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2019, 06:25:28 PM »
Sounds good, and no slapfest!

There's a point where he says that he's felt that other short scale basses are lacking in low end. That's another case of people mis-describing what they're hearing. If a short scale is lacking low end, it's not due to the scale length. They don't have the full upper harmonics of a long scale and that makes the sound seem less full -- but not lacking in bottom.
Yes!  He did a great, realistic job with it.

I've actually never played a short scale.  I'm not a big person in any way, but the Thunderbird fits me just fine.  I don't want to deal with a different scale length.  I'd be really interested in an SG-shaped at 34" scale in left-handed.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2019, 06:35:43 AM »
The blue one from the instagram post Dave put up looks awfully purple to me. Must be midnight blue, right Pilgrim?  ;D
I also have to admit, the bass sounds mellifluously sweet in an appropriately Gibsony way.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2019, 12:22:58 PM »
The blue one from the instagram post Dave put up looks awfully purple to me. Must be midnight blue, right Pilgrim?  ;D
I also have to admit, the bass sounds mellifluously sweet in an appropriately Gibsony way.

Er. um, no opinion, sir!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2019, 03:14:27 PM »
He didn't play the Tele much live but it was used extensively in the studio. The solo in Stairway to Heaven is the Tele - almost everyone I know sees a Gibson in their mind when they listen to it! - All of My Love, Good Times Bad Times, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Dazed and Confused, Your Time is Gonna Come, Communication Breakdown, I Can't Quit You Baby, How Many More Times... all Tele.

Generally speaking, all Zep albums except for II and III are mostly Tele - the rosewood board one with the dragon paint job. He also used it with The Firm.

Part of me thinks that, consciously or subconsciously, Jimmy was trying to make his Les Pauls sound more like Telecasters when he was playing live. His tone was surprisingly thin and surprisingly clean from the Les Pauls.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2019, 05:15:15 PM »
I think these seem like nice basses. Pickguard leaves me a little indifferent to it, but the guard would not keep me from buying one if I played it and liked it.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT