Author Topic: Guild 302  (Read 6185 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Guild 302
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 05:06:58 PM »
Good luck, and give it your all.  These things - both the 301 and 302 - are some of the finest and certainly most under-appreciated basses ever made.  I can honestly say I have enjoyed every one I have ever picked up. 

Not to pour cold water on anyone's plans, but not everyone would agree. Here's what Ali McMordie of Stiff Little Fingers said about the Guild B-302 he recorded and toured with in the band's earliest years:

"Looked cool but it was a poor design with light wood, flimsy scratchplate, dodgy electrics and a raised bridge with massive bolts that tore my fecken hand to pieces!"

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 05:17:15 PM »
I think the only thing worse than that assessment would be having to either play Alternative Ulster for several years or listen to it only once.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 06:25:25 PM »
I think the only thing worse than that assessment would be having to either play Alternative Ulster for several years or listen to it only once.

:P :P :P :P :P

I take it you missed seeing them on their American tour this year.  ;)

Seriously, I don't care if you don't like their music. But the man toured extensively with it and that's his opinion of it after playing it on probably hundreds of gigs. Who else has toured with a 301 or 302?

He's played a Carvin for years now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11287317@N04/2590862765/in/pool-stifflittlefingers/

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 06:29:02 PM »
This bass has a nice feel . I think its the neck profile
For the guts
- I have a matched pair of fender jazzpups. the 302's had singles that were (looked like anyway) wound on P90 bobbins. I got 2 pair of cover ,1set emg 40 style covers & 1 set 4 string soap bar covers. Im going to mark and drill  pole holes to match the  poles on the fender pups. If that works Ill pot them and Im done. If not, Ill have to spend some $$,maybe.
-i have a Guild harness 7 switch .
- my machinist buddy took some metric  allen screws and milled them so I can try them for bridge posts. he was swamped so Ill have him do some "authentic ones" if these dont work. It took him 10 minutes!!If you look at the pic, the screw on left is what he started with. he also drilled holes in my ETS bridge for my S1 project
raised bridge with massive bolts that tore my fecken hand to pieces!" Im not worried about . If I survived cutting meat,fish  & poultry for 35 years a few dings from a bridge wont be a problem."McMordie" humpf!!! must be from south part of the island!
-machine heads are  good except for 1 screw ,and I think that is resolved.
-Ive tried to make contact  for a scratchplate and got no response. Any suggestions would help.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 06:33:40 PM »
"McMordie" humpf!!! must be from south part of the island!

Belfast far enough south for you?  ;D

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 10:21:14 PM »
-Ive tried to make contact  for a scratchplate and got no response. Any suggestions would help.

Looks like these guys might have a template for the 301:

http://pickguards.us/priceguild.html

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 05:30:02 AM »
That is the one I got no  response from.WTF!!!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 08:53:30 AM »
So what's the final word on the dimensions of those bridge posts?  I'm gonna search out some inserts for it.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 11:21:34 AM »
1.5 thread.