Author Topic: Pick your metal signature set  (Read 3150 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Pick your metal signature set
« on: January 10, 2019, 04:14:45 PM »
Looks like 3 of the Big Four thrash players got excited about their hero Geezer's signature set and wanted in on the deal:
http://www.emgpickups.com/bass/signature-sets-bass.html

What would a Tom Araya signature set sound like, though?  Megadeth and Anthrax at least have pretty clearly audible bass tones; I haven't spent much time with Slayer, but what I've heard, their sound is all guitars and drums with just a hint of non-distinct low end from Araya.

Can a Trujillo signature set be far behind?

Hey, maybe there's a "Justice" special edition pickup set in the works for vintage Newsted tone - with no magnets included  ;D
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Pick your metal signature set
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 09:53:01 PM »
About three months ago a local store had taken in a G&L SB-1 that had the original pickup replaced with an EMG Geezer Butler. I was not impressed at all. None of the oomph of the original G&L MFD (or, say, a DiMarzio Model P), none of the charm of a vintage style P pickup. Just sort of blah. How can you do anything new with a P pickup that hasn't already been done by now, anyway?

It's probably been popular enough with Geezer fans that I'm guessing EMG approached the others rather than the others coming to EMG.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 11:21:24 PM »

What would a Tom Araya signature set sound like, though?  Megadeth and Anthrax at least have pretty clearly audible bass tones; I haven't spent much time with Slayer, but what I've heard, their sound is all guitars and drums with just a hint of non-distinct low end from Araya.

Can a Trujillo signature set be far behind?

Hey, maybe there's a "Justice" special edition pickup set in the works for vintage Newsted tone - with no magnets included  ;D

Or a 'that guy from Manowar - set' :)

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 12:35:05 AM »
I'm kind of by default not very much into signature gear, but when I searched for a p/j set to beef up the lower mids of my Fender American Hot Rod Precision I opted for the EMG Geezer-set. It really made the difference I was looking for. What I've heard of Tom Araya's  bass tone I'd say it's kind of bland. Same goes for Trujillo. Dave Ellefson at least has mids enough to be heard.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 11:09:10 AM »
About three months ago a local store had taken in a G&L SB-1 that had the original pickup replaced with an EMG Geezer Butler. I was not impressed at all. None of the oomph of the original G&L MFD (or, say, a DiMarzio Model P), none of the charm of a vintage style P pickup. Just sort of blah. How can you do anything new with a P pickup that hasn't already been done by now, anyway?

You probably can't! I dunno, I like the demo clips I've heard of the GZR.  Sounds like a P to me  ;D ... Better or worse than any other passive P, I can't say without a more direct comparison.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 11:37:46 AM »
What I've heard of Tom Araya's  bass tone I'd say it's kind of bland. Same goes for Trujillo. Dave Ellefson at least has mids enough to be heard.

After I posted I got curious enough to go digging through Youtube for some isolated bass tracks (mostly ripped from Rock Band games).

Things I noticed:

Ellefson:  I'm not familiar with the Megadeth catalog, but I'm not surprised Ellefson gets a lot of respect from metal bassists. Impressive. Some dumbass in the comments said "This isn't really bass playing, it's rhythm guitar on the bass".  Whatever, it's awesome  :rolleyes:

Araya: By far the weakest Big 4 bassist. I don't really like his distorted tone, and his playing works fine with the band but that's the most I can say for it. Lombardo really carries the rhythm section in this band. I think Araya's vocals are his more important contribution.

Bello: I always enjoy Bello. The "Caught in a Mosh" isolated track was surprisingly sloppier than I expected from the full mix, where it sounds great. But then, so is Entwistle. Later recordings seem cleaner, not surprising his technique has improved in the past three decades!

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 04:47:29 PM »
Bello: I always enjoy Bello. The "Caught in a Mosh" isolated track was surprisingly sloppier than I expected from the full mix, where it sounds great. But then, so is Entwistle. Later recordings seem cleaner, not surprising his technique has improved in the past three decades!

Holy shit, you weren't kidding, this is waaaay sloppier than I could have ever imagined. Works in the song but on it's own, it's a rough listen.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 08:24:09 PM »
I've heard Frank Bello live and he's gotten much tighter over the years, but I still prefer Dan Lilker, his predecessor. His work with SOD and MOD is good stuff.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 03:26:54 PM »
Any opinions about Altitude and Attitudes or whatever it is called? It's Bello and Ellefson together. Bello on guitar, writing most songs, and Ellefson on bass. Bello got an ESP 8-string in and Ellefson used it all over the album. Of course he's endorsed by Jackson so on the tour he uses a Jackson 10-string.

Ellefson: no bad words: he saved my life.

Good tones: I always loved Rex Brown's tone the last couple of years. I saw he's using a VT Bass. i carried it for him haha. He has a signature preamp with SD. I think it's the normal quarter pounders with a special preamp.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 10:40:26 PM »
Ellefson: no bad words: he saved my life.

Junior is THE definition of a badass metal bassist! His "Peace Sells" intro lick is iconic. MTV used it for a bump for years when they had actual music programming.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 11:13:34 PM »
How about Cronos, no mention here? Too sloppy? :mrgreen:

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 09:31:50 AM »
Not meant to diss or exclude any number of excellent bassists... I just was going through the 3 of the "big four" that got those new EMG signature sets.

I would definitely be curious about the Bello/Ellefson project.  I've seen some clips of their joint clinics where you can see an obvious affinity and mutual admiration between them, that's always nice, so I'm not surprised they found a way to work together.