Author Topic: First issue Les Paul Bass cases.  (Read 3500 times)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
First issue Les Paul Bass cases.
« on: November 30, 2018, 08:09:48 AM »
I don't think I've ever asked this here before. The case that my Les Paul bass came in is sort of unusual. I've never seen another like it. Has anybody else seen a case with this type of interior shipped with a Gibson?

There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Rob

• View Profile
Re: First issue Les Paul Bass cases.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 11:47:16 AM »
I have seen something similar from Gibson but it was a brown leather exterior rectangular case with a satin cover that could be placed on top of the bass.
I saw it for sale at a music store that bought a storage unit full of guitar cases from Hard Rock in Orlando.  They couldn't tell what bass was supposed to fit.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 03:25:45 PM »
That crushed velvet screams 70's.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 04:06:57 PM »
The case that my Les Paul bass came in is sort of unusual. I've never seen another like it. Has anybody else seen a case with this type of interior shipped with a Gibson?

I've never seen one like that, except for some Japanese cases.  The standard Gibson lining from the '60s was a plain yellow.  Is there a "Gibson" or "Lifton" logo anywhere on it?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 04:43:59 PM »
I've seen that type of material but not in that color.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »
There is no logo on it anywhere. The latches, stitching & other hardware looks identical to the Les Paul Personal case. The Les Paul Professional case is similar, but with chrome hardware & no stitching. Both of these cases have the usual yellow/gold interior. The bass case interior reminds me of something you would see in a trumpet case.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 03:44:48 PM »
Maybe it was professionally repaired at some point. A good luggage repair shop can do work like that.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 04:53:07 PM »
Maybe it was professionally repaired at some point. A good luggage repair shop can do work like that.

That's a real good possibility...………
In a 1973 catalog & price list, they featured these cases. It looks similar. It's hard to tell without a color photo. I've always considered this bass to be a 1970.

As an afterthought, the acoustic brother to this bass has a red crinkle fur inside it's case. Not as visible as the bass case though...……

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 05:26:01 PM by Grog »

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 08:22:21 AM »
A guy posted a photo of his LP Professional on the Les Paul Forum, trying to get some info on it. This is the only other case that looks the same as my bass case that I have come across.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 09:48:53 AM »
Looks lovely.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 11:29:14 AM »
Did Gibson have a published theory as to why they should slant the pickups in that way?  I know that lots of manufacturers have done it, but I've never heard whether there's an actual reason for doing so (other than cosmetics.)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 03:00:13 PM »
Pickup placement affects tone.  Bass strings are (a tad)  bassier that way.  It should be the other way (treble strings bassier - for better string to string balance) but that doesn't look right except on reverse style instruments.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 04:05:57 PM »
It should be the other way (treble strings bassier - for better string to string balance) but that doesn't look right except on reverse style instruments.

I know that I rather have my bass strings sound bassy and my treble strings sound trebly.
But maybe that's just me.  8)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 08:24:48 AM »
I know that I rather have my bass strings sound bassy and my treble strings sound trebly.
But maybe that's just me.  8)

I tend to agree with Granny on this. Give the skinny strings more oomph, and the fat ones more clarity. It's similar to the way Spectors and Guild Pilots have the two halves of the P pup reversed. How much difference any of this makes is anyone's guess, but I like the theory!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 03:13:01 PM »
Exactly - think of the 'rule of opposites' when it comes to using EQ.  It won't make bass strings not bassy, but prevents them from being too much so relative to the higher strings. 

You know I'm a fan of neck pups and the mudbucker, trust me you're not losing much but gaining better string to string balance.  I was gonna mention that they did it with P pups in the 80s but forgot what brands it was; gearHed with the save.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)