Author Topic: How important are speakon connectors anyway?  (Read 3634 times)

Tim Brosnan

• View Profile
How important are speakon connectors anyway?
« on: September 24, 2018, 09:41:03 AM »
In another discussion, the subject of speakon amp connectors came up. Over the years people have said that no modern bass amp should be without them, and others have said that building high power bass amps without them is irresponsible. Just how true is that? Old Ampeg SVT's, Hiwatts, Marshalls are out there without those. How did we ever survive without them before? When would using speakons actually be necessary?

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Re: How important are speakon connectors anyway?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 03:49:38 PM »
Since speakon connections can carry more current than quarter inch plugs, I would think the concern would the power output of the amplifier rather than if it was modern. Old Ampeg SVT's, Hiwatts, and Marshalls didn't push out more than 300 watts. Modern bass heads can easily push 600, 800 or more watts and generally come equipped with speakons. Another advantage is that they lock on, thus preventing accidental disconnection.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 07:11:49 AM »
I've got a little class D Genz Benz that ONLY has speakon outs. That's a little annoying. In 40 years of playing, I don't think I've ever had a speaker cable come unplugged. There are also locking 1/4'' jacks. I'm honestly not taking sides here. I don't dislike speakon, I'd just like a commonly available cable to be an option.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 09:49:00 AM »
Yeah I have one of those great little GB heads.  When I'm using backline-du-jour I always bring a speakon-to-quarter-inch cable I made, in case there's a house cab that doesn't have a speakon input.
I've seen other modern heads that lack quarter inch outputs too.

I always wondered why XLR connectors didn't catch on for speaker cables. Trace Elliot used to use them.
They lock, they're everywhere, they're sturdy, and they can take a fair amount of power.

Apparently, based on some googling, there was never a standard for which way to wire them up; and they can take up to 14 gauge wire and 15 amps, which while it's quite a lot for most purposes, the current rating might be a bit low for some PA rigs. Speakons are rated to 25 or 40 amps depending on the specific plug, and some can take 12 or even 11 gauge wire.

Of course, for bass players plugging a one or two meter cable between a head and a cab, that's all likely rather excessive.   I was curious what it'd take to get near 15 amps through a single cable.  900 watts (running flat out) into a single 4 ohm cab would do it. I would prefer not to be very near a maxed out 900 watt amp anyway :-o
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 10:10:24 PM »
I carry a speakon to 1/4 inch  adapter in my parts bag. My Genz shuttle could be connected in moments.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 07:21:30 AM »
I carry a speakon to 1/4 inch  adapter in my parts bag. My Genz shuttle could be connected in moments.

I immediately bought an adapter when I got the amp.  :)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 11:16:51 AM »
Some amps, like the Warwick LWA1000 I use, have combined speakon/jack. Not both, but combined. A jack fits in the center of the speakon. I thought this was normal, but I surprised many engineers by sticking in a jack in a speakon and they looked like I turned water into wine. 'No that doesn't fit in the center.... ...wtf... ...it fits!'

I use the head on some different cabs, mostly with speakon, but sometimes a cab in the venue doesn't have speakon and I borrowed a jack/jack.

The reasons I use speakon are simple. I only have speakon speaker cables and they lock.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 10:49:59 PM »

I always wondered why XLR connectors didn't catch on for speaker cables. Trace Elliot used to use them.

I guess when something gets broken, there is a better chance finding a speaker cable with jack plugs rather than an xlr that is not shielded and hooked up as a speaker plug.

I repair lots of old vox amps, and of course those with xlr speaker out sounds best :)

I think Tannoy used xlr too, at least my two 70's cabs have xlr.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 07:54:34 AM »
Some amps, like the Warwick LWA1000 I use, have combined speakon/jack. Not both, but combined. A jack fits in the center of the speakon.

I was hoping that was the case with the GB, but no.

I always wondered why XLR connectors didn't catch on for speaker cables.

Old Ampeg cabs had an XLR type of input. At least up until '71, probably later.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 06:10:27 PM »
Speakon is bigger, clunkier, more expensive and not so easy to replace in a pinch.  Also plastic so breaks easier.  Not compatible with vintage cabs without adapters or mods.

Locking is something I don't need and actually don't want (e.g. if the cable is pulled by a person tripping over it I want it to come out vs send the head tumbling to the floor).

The power rating is also a non-issue (for me) as I am not gonna use anything over 300 watts (current head is a 4xKT88 ultralinear Sunn so 200ish, and that's easily all the power I need).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)