Author Topic: Happy Birthday Jean Michel Jarre  (Read 839 times)

Blazer

Happy Birthday Jean Michel Jarre
« on: August 24, 2008, 04:29:44 AM »

Happy 60'th to you monsieur Jarre and may you push the sonic boundaries for many more years to come.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 11:58:30 PM by Blazer »

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday Jean Michelle Jarre
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 09:39:52 AM »
That is one concert I would like to have attended. Jarre's Live at Houston is one of my favorite CD's.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 10:11:16 AM »
He was (or is) touring this year performing Oxygène in its entirety - using the original instruments to boot!  Just an amazing spread of classic gear.  I just can't imagine anyone going thru this much pain and expense in this day and age, when its so tempting to try and approximate all of this on a small stack of digital keyboards.

But what fun is that?  :)

That clip is to synth geeks what a tour of Uwe's office is to Gibson bass geeks  ;D

I think he said it best in this article:

"He decided that, while he would take advantage of technological progress in recording equipment, as far as the instruments were concerned, he wanted to remain faithful to the early analogue synthesizers on which he had performed the original.

“When I got them out of storage and played them again, I realised something that even I had forgotten - that these analogue instruments are unique,” Jarre says. “Choosing to use these old synths instead of their modern equivalents is not a retro thing, it is not nostalgia, it is because technological progress has almost nothing to do with the quality of the instrument.

A violinist playing today would rather play a Stradivarius than any other instrument - a violin made 400 years ago. Many guitarists would say that the best electric guitars ever made were Gibson Les Pauls and Fender Telecasters from the 1950s or early 1960s. It is the same with these analogue synths.”

Blazer

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 10:42:28 AM »
That was fun to watch, thanks for that!  :thumbsup:

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 11:15:27 AM »
Talking about Jean Michel Jarre on a bassist's forum, is bad, Blazer! Bad!

;)

The only good thing is he has the same initials als Justin Meldal-Johnsen. Let's talk about him again!

;)