Author Topic: Power amp recommendation  (Read 1737 times)

Tim Brosnan

• View Profile
Power amp recommendation
« on: May 17, 2018, 06:15:43 AM »
I have been plugging my basses into a Sansamp DI pedal for about a year and a half now. It is the version 2, and I use the SVT setting. From there, it goes into the effects return of my Fender Rumble 500 combo.

I have a Rumble 1X15 extension cabinet as well. I was thinking about getting a power amp, then using that and the Sansamp as my bass rig. The thing is, I have no idea what brand I should look towards. QSC and Crown seem to be top brands. However, with the level of quality dropping in MI amplification as it has been, has the same happened with power amp production? I would appreciate your input on this, thank you all so much!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:17:41 AM by Tim Brosnan »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Power amp recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 09:42:20 AM »

(it's on sale here locally, been drooling over it, but it's out of reach and I have no immediate need; apparently custom built for the bass player of a local band - Cancer Bats)

Other tube based options include Peavey 30/30 or 50/50 on the low end (both can be bridged to mono IIRC), Mesa and vintage (out of prod) Marshall on the higher end.

For solid state options along the lines of the QSC and Crown you mentioned there are Bryston 2B or 4B units that can be had for a reasonable price on the used market, and see also Yorkville stuff for a budget option. 

There's also the integrated SS bass amps from the mid-late 70s that would work well - see Peavey Mark IV and Traynor Monoblock (as well related/similar models to both of those; also the PA versions).

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

rexdiablo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 07:23:45 PM »

(it's on sale here locally, been drooling over it, but it's out of reach and I have no immediate need; apparently custom built for the bass player of a local band - Cancer Bats)

Other tube based options include Peavey 30/30 or 50/50 on the low end (both can be bridged to mono IIRC), Mesa and vintage (out of prod) Marshall on the higher end.

For solid state options along the lines of the QSC and Crown you mentioned there are Bryston 2B or 4B units that can be had for a reasonable price on the used market, and see also Yorkville stuff for a budget option. 

There's also the integrated SS bass amps from the mid-late 70s that would work well - see Peavey Mark IV and Traynor Monoblock (as well related/similar models to both of those; also the PA versions).

That looks amazing- and they're a really good band. When I last saw them he was using a First Act Custom models after an RD. Sound massive and "ugly-beautiful"!
Go fast, take chances.

rockbobmel

• View Profile
    • Cooper Jones Band
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 03:04:37 AM »
Without space, music is just noise piling up on itself!