Author Topic: Photobucket has new ownership  (Read 3172 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Photobucket has new ownership
« on: May 16, 2018, 07:15:41 PM »
I won't be going back to Photobucket but in case any of you are interested, the new owners have dropped the subscription price from $400 to $20 annually.

https://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004314254

From the FAQ, you'll have to have a subscription in order to hotlink, which means that most of the images posted on forums still won't be visible unless they get an awful lot of paid subscribers.

I'll just keep using the Firefox/Chrome extensions to view others' images.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Photobucket has new ownership
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 08:40:08 PM »
Amen. As far as I'm concerned, Photobucket has burned its bridges.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 01:35:50 AM »
Same here. I transferred my images to Imgur and will not go back to Photobucket, even though I think it works better for handling images. Imgur seems to be developed more towards touch screens.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 03:33:31 AM »
I never did, so I can return then and my pics are still all there (I always kept the original subscription running)? It was just too much hassle for me to move, but I never upgraded either, so it became essentially a dust bin.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 03:46:28 PM »
Photowhat...?
Kickedthebucket... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 09:49:58 PM »
I never did, so I can return then and my pics are still all there (I always kept the original subscription running)? It was just too much hassle for me to move, but I never upgraded either, so it became essentially a dust bin.

You might have to change your subscription under the new ownership to be able to hotlink your photos again.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »
We can all go back to MySpace and the DudePit too

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 06:08:29 PM »
I can't find that information when I go directly to Photobucket.

My gut reaction is the link is a scam.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 06:25:16 PM »
I can't find that information when I go directly to Photobucket.

My gut reaction is the link is a scam.

No, it's real. When I logged in, I got this page: http://photobucket.com/beginner-plan/?postlogin=true

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 07:03:34 AM »
Same thing happened to me when I logged in on my computer, but on the app on my phone, it let me in.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 09:23:52 AM »
Same thing happened to me when I logged in on my computer, but on the app on my phone, it let me in.

I got that page after I logged in on my desktop PC, and I was still able see my photo albums even though I didn't choose to subscribe. It's just that you don't have hotlinking privileges unless you subscribe.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 01:12:46 AM »
I use Imgur for my hosting needs now. The only downside is that the users of that site seem to want to pretend that it is a social media site. If I don't set my images to private as I upload them I end up getting notifications that my photos are being upvoted or downvoted. If it is a photo of a bass, or even a detailed shot of a bit of a bass, I end up with nerds commenting on how my action is too high, or how I can't have ever played my basses as the frets are in good condition (WTF?!) etc. I uploaded a photo of my Mustang basses and somebody commented "I play Jazz basses myself".

Stick your Jazz Bass up your arse.

A useful website, but the people who hang around on there looking for things to do appear to be weird losers who want to pretend an image hosting site is Reddit 2.0.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 07:07:29 AM »
I use Imgur for my hosting needs now. The only downside is that the users of that site seem to want to pretend that it is a social media site. If I don't set my images to private as I upload them I end up getting notifications that my photos are being upvoted or downvoted. If it is a photo of a bass, or even a detailed shot of a bit of a bass, I end up with nerds commenting on how my action is too high, or how I can't have ever played my basses as the frets are in good condition (WTF?!) etc. I uploaded a photo of my Mustang basses and somebody commented "I play Jazz basses myself".

Stick your Jazz Bass up your arse.

A useful website, but the people who hang around on there looking for things to do appear to be weird losers who want to pretend an image hosting site is Reddit 2.0.

Go to Settings and set your default privacy to Hidden, then you don't have to do it with each upload. That way we can still see anything you post on a forum but the general public can't comment on it.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 04:54:58 PM »
I just noticed that a lot of my old photos from Photobucket are showing again on older threads. I'm still sticking with Imgur. These may have been up for a while, I just noticed it...…………… A lot of good information was lost on the heels of Photobucket, now some of it might be back.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 09:33:21 AM »
I just noticed that a lot of my old photos from Photobucket are showing again on older threads. I'm still sticking with Imgur. These may have been up for a while, I just noticed it...…………… A lot of good information was lost on the heels of Photobucket, now some of it might be back.

Did you have a paid account or a free one?